News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 Intake questions

Started by Rcbach302, August 04, 2023, 11:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rcbach302

I'm putting together my J code and have a few questions on assembly:

1. The AMK bolt kit has 4 studs and 8 bolts. Location of studs? What color are bolts; painted, natural or black phophate (as shipped)?
2. Carb spacer: natural or painted?
3. Valve cover bolts - natural or painted?
4. Tstat housing & bolts -natural or painted?

Thank you,
1968 GT350 Convertible #3127

Coralsnake

Which intake and which carburetor are you using?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Coralsnake

1.The AMK bolt kit has 4 studs and 8 bolts. Location of studs?
bolt/stud/bolt/bolt/stud/bolt
What color are bolts; painted, natural or black phophate (as shipped)? Painted
2. Carb spacer: natural or painted? Natural for Holley; painted for Autolite
3. Valve cover bolts - natural or painted? Natural with painted wire clips
4. Tstat housing & bolts -natural or painted? Painted

Rcbach302

I am using the Holley/S7MS combo.

Rcbach302

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Rcbach302 on August 04, 2023, 11:54:37 AM
I am using the Holley/S7MS combo.

That will have the thinner black phenolic spacer with PCV hose fitting at the back.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

Originally my 68 GT350 had the iron manifold and Autolite carb installed in it when purchased in April 1972.

There were four studs installed in the intake in the center most positions. Two on each side.

The picture posted here of the painted manifold does not agree with what I had.

Whether or not there were variations in production, I can't say. Since I am not limited to just this one engine in my experience, it was my thought that on an iron intake the studs were used and on an aluminum bolts in that position.

It may be that the engine assembly plant found it more reliable to accurately locate the intake gaskets with studs when using the much heavier iron intake. Granted that is speculation on my part but that procedure of using studs to hold the gaskets in place is fairly common place now even in the aftermarket.

The valve cover bolts ON MINE were just zinc plated with no head markings, with matching zinc plated split washers.

As pointed out to me I can't testify in court that I had the original factory configuration simply because I was not there to witness the original assembly. I can't deny that.

Be aware though that Defense Attorneys often attempt to prohibit eye witnesses from testifying simply because if they say, " I saw that person sitting there, kill the deceased", it will prejudice the jury against their client.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Studs might be the center two holes on each side. I will defer to a survivor if available

shelbydoug

Aren't there going to be variations in the bolt finishes since some bolts painted blue were reused by the dealer in swapping out the manifolds?

Would Smith have been swapping out intakes also or were the S7MS intakes Ford installed?

The introduction of the aluminum intakes are right around the end production of most 68 GT350's if you look at the build dates. Most were already built by then.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Smith would have installed the aluminum intakes. You are correct there were not many factory installed. Dealers also could have installed them, per the service campaign

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 04, 2023, 05:20:49 PM
Studs might be the center two holes on each side. I will defer to a survivor if available

Wouldn't the arrangement/order of bolts verses stud/nuts be the same on all small blocks not just Shelby's?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

I would say yes, intakes are same

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

bolt/stud/bolt/bolt/stud/bolt is correct