News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Car wax

Started by deathsled, September 09, 2018, 02:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Quote from: tesgt350 on September 11, 2018, 08:45:14 AM
I am surprised no one has talked about that new "Ceramic" wax/coating that others have been glorifying lately.
Never heard of it but now you have me interested.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

tesgt350

Quote from: deathsled on September 11, 2018, 08:52:28 AM
Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on September 11, 2018, 08:25:09 AM
Interesting discussion but something that many overlook is to claybar after washing, then polish, then wax.  You'll be amazed at what the clay picks up and then how much easier polishing and waxing will be.
I am intrigued by claybar and have never tried. Any dangers associated with it (not healthwise but paint related)? And doesn't polishing wear down the paint? That's why I moved away from cleaner waxes.

When I use Clay bar, I always break off a piece and flatten it out and run it over the Car using a water hose.  If I drop it I toss it and break off another piece.

tesgt350

Quote from: deathsled on September 11, 2018, 08:54:45 AM
Quote from: tesgt350 on September 11, 2018, 08:45:14 AM
I am surprised no one has talked about that new "Ceramic" wax/coating that others have been glorifying lately.
Never heard of it but now you have me interested.

https://exclusivedetail.com/ceramic-coating-for-cars/

https://youtu.be/byKcYsEyWGk

427heaven

What professional detailers have shown me is to use a detailer mist to make the clay bar slip and slide over the surface with ease. You will see the dirt lodged in the clay that was imbedded in your paint. Most excellent paint prep product.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I usually Clay Bar my car 3-4 times a year, it is amazing how much "stuff" it picks up. If the clay or a towel touches the ground, it never touches the car again. Too many times I've seen people pick up a micro fiber towel , shake it off and pick off the leaves and start wiping the car.
I use a mild polish a couple of times a year if I think it is required and use Jax Wax Liquid Carnauba as a final product
Hint: to check if your car needs clay bar, take the cellophane off of a cigarette pack and  put your finger into the cellophane and little rub it over the cars surface, if it feels like you are rubbing sandpaper over the surface it needs clay bar. I use Mequiars spray to keep the surface wet and constantly keep turning the clay. When you are done, toss it away. So far its worked for me
Owned since 1971, now driven over 248,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

deathsled

You gentlemen are selling me on the claybar. I'm going to try it this weekend with the aforementioned mist technique.

Mikelj5S230

Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

been tempted to try it, but haven't made the jump yet
Owned since 1971, now driven over 248,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

SNAKEBIT

I mentioned using clay if, after washing, any part of the surface doesn't feel smooth. I first used clay about 10 years ago or so. I love the results. Man, after putting tons of work into a cars surface by washing, claying, glazing and waxing is really worth the look and feel.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

vtgt500

I agree, if waxing a car after any amount of time, claying is mandatory.  I've tried several brands and noted no difference in effectiveness.  I now buy by price.  Just follow the directions regarding use of detailing spray as a lubricant.  Detailing cars with original paint is critical.  Have usually been buffed a few times with minimal paint thickness remaining.  Necessary to not further remove paint, yet correct and protect what remains.  New, high solids clears make life much easier.  If you haven't yet used Dr. Color Chip, have a treat ahead of you.

CSX 4133

Here's a decent explanation of "Claying" and the process involved. I've moved onto Clay Mitts as they work just as well, clean up easy and last far longer.
The mitts also come in various grades, from fine to heavy so you can choose your specific need. The mitts work equally well on paint, wheels, windshield and even chrome to remove imbedded particles.

https://www.lenosgarage.com/blogs/news/7-tips-for-using-a-clay-mitt

Quote from: deathsled on September 11, 2018, 01:45:06 PM
You gentlemen are selling me on the claybar. I'm going to try it this weekend with the aforementioned mist technique.

Try a clay glove/mitt instead. I always use a detail spray on the paint and then run the mitt over it.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Quote from: Bigfoot on September 11, 2018, 10:11:29 PM
Quote from: CorvetteMike on September 11, 2018, 02:15:43 PM
This is much better and easier than a clay bar, and just as good:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/fine+surface+prep+mitt.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

Mitt plus what lubricant or solution?

Any of the detail sprays: Adams Detail Spray, Meguiars, Griot's Speed Shine....they will all get the job done.  The Griot's is at a good price point for doing that "bulk" work, but I like Adams the best.  I am always open to try new ones though. 

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Detail-Spray-16oz-Competition/dp/B001QVFD4K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536724304&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=adams+detail+spray&psc=1

Griot's...a lot of reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4PB8QQ/ref=psdc_2687786011_t1_B0042KL8BY

deathsled

Just received the P21S 100 percent carnauba wax in the mail today.  Leave it to the Germans to use some obscure numbering system to identify it. I am sure there is some logic behind the designation.  Next I will get the clay bar and go after the paint this weekend.  I will let you gentlemen know how it goes...