News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Car wax

Started by deathsled, September 09, 2018, 02:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

With Autumn on the horizon (saw some turning trees early this morning while driving the 66), I am looking to put a good wax job on big red.  I have used Zymol and Sonax in the past.  I am out of both.  Curious to learn what others use for their cars and why that particular brand.  Enjoy the day gentlemen.  Not many more like this one depending on where you are in the country (or world).
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shlby66

Mother's Carnauba cleaner wax, hand applied. Goes on easy and easy to buff out.

I do not like, the liquid waxes, because, they always seem, to get into the nooks
    and cranies, making it hard to get it out/off.

I finish up, with an application, of Mother's Instant Detailer. It all works for me. :)

Doug

Mikelj5S230

Quote from: shlby66 on September 09, 2018, 03:37:08 PM

Mother's Carnauba cleaner wax, hand applied. Goes on easy and easy to buff out.

I do not like, the liquid waxes, because, they always seem, to get into the nooks
    and cranies, making it hard to get it out/off.

I finish up, with an application, of Mother's Instant Detailer. It all works for me. :)

Doug

+1, that is the best one readily available.  Gloss-It has good waxes and detailers too, but are much more expensive and you have to order them online.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

deathsled

Washed but not yet waxed. Thinking about trying P21S carnauba wax.  It purports to be 100 percent carnauba.  I'll keep you all posted how it works when it arrives.

zray

SFM6S087

Quote from: deathsled on September 09, 2018, 09:59:22 PM
Washed but not yet waxed. Thinking about trying P21S carnauba wax.  It purports to be 100 percent carnauba.  I'll keep you all posted how it works when it arrives.

I use P21S carnauba on my car and like it. Upon the recommendation of another owner, I started using it when my car first came home from restoration. It's all I've ever used so I don't know how it compares to others.

Steve

Sixx7shelby

I use moonshine car care products. The shine is unbelievable! I use a pre cleaner and then the wax. You need to apply very little wax, it doesn't really dry, but it gets a slight haze. Then buff it with microfiber towel to an amazing shine.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

vtgt500

A few years back I forked over about $20K for some minimal body work and a phenomenal, black paint job.  Researching wax options to protect my "investment" was discouraging.  Regional feedback was entirely opinion.  Started attending SEMA a few years ago and remain awestruck at the paint jobs exhibited there.   The cars in BASF and the Glasurit/Foose booths will redefine any previous benchmark of excellence.  Shopping wax vendors at the show in mind numbing.  Has to be over 50 vendors all with a spectacularly painted and waxed car in their booth.  Stopped by the Flex polisher booth to demo the orbital and rotary models.  By chance there was a German technician in the booth lending tips.  Learned he was a professional detailer traveling the show circuit world wide.  That premium, European luxury and Italian exotic manufacturers would pay him well to prep their cars for unveiling.  Of course I had to ask his opinion on polish and wax.  Without hesitation stated he exclusively used Sonax polish and Maguires Ultimate wax.  I have since followed suit on my black GT 500, sapphire black BMW, and sister's black Volvo.  Find the wax holds up well throughout winter driving.  Not leaving white residue is a bonus.  Certain there are many fine waxes, including some that probably last longer or shine better.  Your mileage may vary.

I use Sonax products almost exclusively.  Amazing products with a long history.  They have excellent customer service as well.

At shows and when I am bored, I will use Adams Spray Detailer.  I also like Meguiar's Ultimate line.

I still have a cabinet full of half-used Griot's products, but I am slowly using those up on the daily drivers since I discovered Sonax.

SNAKEBIT

Quote from: deathsled on September 09, 2018, 09:59:22 PM

Deathsled, I watched a video of a guy who does very high end detailing and he had a can of 100% pure Carnuba and he said it set him back about $10,000. It is apparently, very hard to get and super-costly. He got a bit in his hands and rubbed it up and then used his hands to apply it to this Ferrari or Lamborghini. I use Meguiars, the tan bottle ones, which I think, is their highest end product? I clay any part that is anything but smooth after a good wash in Griots car wash, then I glaze it with Meguiars and then it gets 2-3 coats of wax. 3M makes terrific products for cars finishes. I'm in the middle of using cutting compound, glaze and wax on my CR-V and the paint is nearly webless; hardly a lick of spider-webbing. Probably a small dual-action buffer after the big 7 inch might get rid of the final webs, but black paint is notorious when it comes to trying to get all the webs out. Let us know what you choose and what your results are. I may get some of that 3M One Step cleaner wax; we'll see.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

427heaven

I use 3 m products. It is called 3 m pro formula perfect it show car paste wax-ultra high gloss Part number 051131... 395526  Easy on and off by hand or machine, black and dark color cars are simply stunning with this product. Really any color, my original paint  RED 63 split window looked 50 years newer with it. About 30.00 a can, money well spent.

SNAKEBIT

When I am able to run-out of my waxes and/or give some away, I'm looking into THAT product, for sure. Heading to Autozone today and Harbor Freight. That always makes for a good day. Oh, and will be making a Rock Auto purchase, as well. Good for me! I get to replace the front struts/coils on my '06 CR-V. Yay for me!
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

NC TRACKRAT

Interesting discussion but something that many overlook is to claybar after washing, then polish, then wax.  You'll be amazed at what the clay picks up and then how much easier polishing and waxing will be.
5S071, 6S1467

tesgt350

I am surprised no one has talked about that new "Ceramic" wax/coating that others have been glorifying lately.

deathsled

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on September 11, 2018, 08:25:09 AM
Interesting discussion but something that many overlook is to claybar after washing, then polish, then wax.  You'll be amazed at what the clay picks up and then how much easier polishing and waxing will be.
I am intrigued by claybar and have never tried. Any dangers associated with it (not healthwise but paint related)? And doesn't polishing wear down the paint? That's why I moved away from cleaner waxes.