News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 KR - No Snorkel question

Started by Banzainj, February 09, 2024, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on February 12, 2024, 12:21:17 AM
Correct gary back years ago we made many trips out west buying up ford  air cleaner snorkels in old junk yards because they were rust free and the snorkel ends were used on several ford performance cars. I had an old junk yard directory book  that i used on western junk yard trips. One western trip after a shelby nats show in utah me hank huisman (george  h brother) randy sizemore rented a van and after a few days had so many parts we had to stop at ups and ship snorkles etc home because our van was full  as this was before the big crush when all junk yards were crushing these old cars truck etc. The ford snorkle ends depended on what carb was used performance holleys vs ford carbs as the air cleaner base was flat 2 piece on holley with a closer diameter snorkle screw end holes 16 1/4''. vs 17'' air cleaner bases both being difference design except for the 390 gt as it was difference than the regular ford 390.
Thanks. I remember seeing a MM article with one of you (think it was Hank ) were at a yard and found a boss 302(?) air cleaner setup. Deal of the day? Back when I first met George around 1986 he was reproducing many parts(OEM parts) and I can't remember if Hank had already moved to Florida or not. I know that back in the day in Hemmings George would sell out of Mi and Hank out of Florida. I alos remember stopping by George's house and he and his friend Terry were installing a light bar(the first) in his ASC Mustang and that business took off (Classic Design Concepts). Man, have the years flown by....I've bought snorkels, smog systems heat shields and S tubes off of George back in the 80s and 90s for CJ cars I was restoring. I also wonder what happened to Larry Cook. He worked at Fitzsimmons that did  smog tubes for Ford  and made up repo B9 smog tubes(had the original bucks to go off of) back in the 80s as he had a beautiful 69 Boss 9.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

Hank moved to florida back in the 90s when his parents moved from MI. and mike ulrey soon followed. Hank started paridize automotive and bought george out of the MaClaran parts business they had. I was with hank when he found the boss 302 shaker base and snorkle for $35 bucks and later sold it for $3500bucks. We were at desert valley junkyard in AZ after a BJ auction trip and the yard had cleaned out an old skool bus full of air cleaners and had them hanging on racks when we found it as that was the biggest yard with 6000 or so old cars before the big car crush happened. Larrry Cook also moved to FL and is still making parts.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on February 12, 2024, 07:59:24 AM
Hank moved to florida back in the 90s when his parents moved from MI. and mike ulrey soon followed. Hank started paridize automotive and bought george out of the MaClaran parts business they had. I was with hank when he found the boss 302 shaker base and snorkle for $35 bucks and later sold it for $3500bucks. We were at desert valley junkyard in AZ after a BJ auction trip and the yard had cleaned out an old skool bus full of air cleaners and had them hanging on racks when we found it as that was the biggest yard with 6000 or so old cars before the big car crush happened. Larrry Cook also moved to FL and is still making parts.
Thanks for the info. I see Hank from time to time and lately it is usually at MCACN. He is a quiet guy. I knew he had McClaren stuff but didn't know his history until I saw the You-Tube video. I remember back then George and Hank both worked for ASC and I remember getting some NOS quarters from George and we went to a 3 car garage in Northville and it was filled with T-tops in racks IIRC. I now live a mile from that old stash garage he had. Does Larry still have that Maroon 69 B9? That was quite the car back then. Had it stashed in a climate room sideways from a rear extension of his garage. I think it was in Ferndale Mi.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)