News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

in board grill and support question

Started by imming1965, November 07, 2023, 10:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imming1965

I'm restoring an early April completion date gt350 with inboard lights. so has big hole grill pattern. in pictures you will see 1/8" rivets with spring clip used as washers. This car has had front end work and has been changed from original but I wanted to make sure this was not a thing. I cannsee why they used the clip to help hold the lower grill in but have a hard time believing this is correct, I'm guessing the 3/16" rivet with big head would have been correct. can someone help with what I'm seeing is probably not correct in picture. thanks jeremy

Bob Gaines

Quote from: imming1965 on November 07, 2023, 10:04:14 AM
I'm restoring an early April completion date gt350 with inboard lights. so has big hole grill pattern. in pictures you will see 1/8" rivets with spring clip used as washers. This car has had front end work and has been changed from original but I wanted to make sure this was not a thing. I cannsee why they used the clip to help hold the lower grill in but have a hard time believing this is correct, I'm guessing the 3/16" rivet with big head would have been correct. can someone help with what I'm seeing is probably not correct in picture. thanks jeremy
Use the big head black anodized rivet just like what was used to secure the front nose lower lip to the front frame rail.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

I would agree, see attached... a couple examples
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

imming1965

just so we are clear I am just questioning the attachment of the lower grill to the grill support bar. The upper grill is attached with 1/8" rivets on the car and the last car I did in this time frame. I'm not sure the time frame of using the 3/16" rivets to attach upper grill was.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: imming1965 on November 07, 2023, 12:03:54 PM
just so we are clear I am just questioning the attachment of the lower grill to the grill support bar. The upper grill is attached with 1/8" rivets on the car and the last car I did in this time frame. I'm not sure the time frame of using the 3/16" rivets to attach upper grill was.
Reply #1 was answering your question that you asked about the lower grill.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

imming1965

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 07, 2023, 12:12:36 PM
Yes I got that Bob, I wasn't disputing anything, I was just adding to it because JD posted pictures with upper grill using the big rivets and I have found they used small and large at different times, thank you my friend
    but JD's picture does bring me to another question and that is.... which is correct or more likely to be correct, lower grill installed from outside as in JD's example or lower grill installed on the inside side of grill suport?

shelbydoug

Was it ever determined if all '67s should have the lower grill or just certain ones?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 07, 2023, 12:58:25 PM
Was it ever determined if all '67s should have the lower grill or just certain ones?
There is documentation showing the lower grill being installed.as part of the front end design. There is no documentation that a lower grill would not be included and installed at the factory for some reason. That doesn't mean that there were not cases where the lower grill was forgotten by mistake. Without the lower grill the radiator is exposed to road debris and consequently damage. Most likely the grill mesh was designed to be smaller (compared to the inboard grill) on the outboard grill as a added measure of protection against damaging road debris.                                                   

Bob Gaines

Quote from: imming1965 on November 07, 2023, 12:23:09 PM
Yes I got that Bob, I wasn't disputing anything, I was just adding to it because JD posted pictures with upper grill using the big rivets and I have found they used small and large at different times, thank you my friend
    but JD's picture does bring me to another question and that is.... which is correct or more likely to be correct, lower grill installed from outside as in JD's example or lower grill installed on the inside side of grill suport?
I have seen it installed both ways however I have typically seen it installed from the front on cars that I have a high confidence hadn't been fooled with.  Installed from the rear seems counter intuitive IMO. Installed from the front side seems to give a more finished look but that is just me.

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 07, 2023, 01:29:05 PM

There is documentation showing the lower grill being installed.as part of the front end design. There is no documentation that a lower grill would not be included and installed at the factory for some reason. That doesn't mean that there were not cases where the lower grill was forgotten by mistake. Without the lower grill the radiator is exposed to road debris and consequently damage. Most likely the grill mesh was designed to be smaller (compared to the inboard grill) on the outboard grill as a added measure of protection against damaging road debris.                                                   

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 07, 2023, 01:38:24 PM
Quote from: imming1965 on November 07, 2023, 12:23:09 PM

I have seen it installed both ways however I have typically seen it installed from the front on cars that I have a high confidence hadn't been fooled with.  Installed from the rear seems counter intuitive IMO. Installed from the front side seems to give a more finished look but that is just me.

As Bob said above.

Also, I think some of the earlier Angled two-piece did have/get the lower segment attached to the back-side of the nose support and not with rivets, similar mounting as the all one-piece angled grilles, evolving methods and changes for ease and time was the the riveted with installation from the front of the opening.

shelbydoug

Are there any changes to the lower grill installation if the oil cooler is installed?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 07, 2023, 06:44:50 PM
Are there any changes to the lower grill installation if the oil cooler is installed?
It installs the same.