News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Why Engine Oil Filter Magnets Are a Good Idea

Started by FL SAAC, September 08, 2023, 07:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

rhjanes

Well......written by Jim Smart.
Seems to be a sales write up.  I admit to only browsing the write up, but I don't see any "Hard Data" (Charleston Heston, since True Lies was on the TV last night). 
I've never used one.  I put 200,000 on a F250 7.3, only doing oil changes every 3,000 miles, including filter.  It ran great.  My Mustangs all went over 100,000 with no issue and internal bearings looked fine on tear down. 
But I'm open to the idea.   
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

deathsled

I am intrigued by the idea. It might end up being only a placebo but what if it isn't?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on September 09, 2023, 03:32:22 PM
I am intrigued by the idea. It might end up being only a placebo but what if it isn't?

Dont think it is a placebo, have a friend of ours that has a dedicated track car. He has had one on there forever,  sends his oil to get tested religiously and opens up his filters.  Finds small particles stuck to the filter / can

I have all UNGOLD cars

gt350shelb

if you have magnetic particles in your engine oil a magnet  is not going to fix the problem .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

TA Coupe

Magnets will mostly attract some sludge. Some factory automatics come with one in the pan. I have some in my heads incase anything brakes. You can also buy some really strong ones that you can just stick on the outside of your oil pan also. I do have a couple that go around the filter, can't hurt.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Lincoln tech

What are pistons and bearings made out of ? will pieces of them stick to a magnet ? If you have pieces of metal in your oil filter that will stick to a magnet you have some major wear problems that most likely will notify you by being noisy. Waste time and money.

FL SAAC

Anything one can do to trap particles is good, if it's a magnet well it's a magnet

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

Quote from: Lincoln tech on September 09, 2023, 07:02:55 PM
What are pistons and bearings made out of ? will pieces of them stick to a magnet ? If you have pieces of metal in your oil filter that will stick to a magnet you have some major wear problems that most likely will notify you by being noisy. Waste time and money.

Maybe so but it seems to me that screens epoxied into place in the oil drain back holes in the heads is now very commonplace on heads.

I had only once a set of push rods loose the tips and wind up in the oil pan on a Boss 351. They shattered pretty extensively and a magnet on the oil filter was cheap insurance in my mind.

Sometimes mental health is the issue at stake?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

rhjanes

Quote from: TA Coupe on September 09, 2023, 06:10:48 PM
Magnets will mostly attract some sludge. Some factory automatics come with one in the pan. I have some in my heads incase anything brakes. You can also buy some really strong ones that you can just stick on the outside of your oil pan also. I do have a couple that go around the filter, can't hurt.

Roy
Yep.  And it seems to take about 3 paper towels to get that sticky sludge off.   I've also found that some drain bolts are magnetic.  I've changed the CVT fluid on the wife's Honda and the end of it inside the transmission, looks like your finger tip.  Rounded end.  It attracts the sludge.
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

FL SAAC

Maybe the sludge has microscopic metal particles in it

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC on September 11, 2023, 02:31:05 PM

The sludge is metallic powder mixed with water. It becomes a solution.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

magnetic metal in  transmissions is normal/  magnetic metal in engine oil pan is very rare / and usually means  you have a  problem . magnet isnt gonna fix it
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 11, 2023, 03:19:37 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on September 11, 2023, 02:31:05 PM

The sludge is metallic powder mixed with water. It becomes a solution.

Doug so in theory " the magnet " maybe a good thing

I have all UNGOLD cars