News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Somebody apparently “borrowed” (or stole) this

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, July 24, 2023, 09:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Last year I had my car on loan to the Mustang Owners Museum. While there someone apparently "borrowed" or perhaps to be more correct , stole this item from under the back seat. It's a Hertz suit bag but not just any old Hertz unit bag but one from the White House Press Corp. I'm hoping that whoever took it will take it upon themselves to return it with no questions asked. If they try and sell it just know you are buying a stolen object. It disappeared between approx Feb- May 2022. They also took a segmented rear brake shoe
Looking for any leads
Steve McDonald
Attached is a picture of the suit bag
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

davez

Sorry to hear that Steve.  Hope it gets returned
Dz

427hunter

I am really sorry the bag was stolen! You need to file a police report right away. Give the police copies of the photos of the bag and it's collectable value which I think would be at least $1,000. If you do not report it stolen you can not get it back. Make sure the place you left the vehicle is aware you filed a police report and tell them you want it passed along to all their employees that you want the bag returned. See if they have cameras and watch facebook marketplace, ebay, and craigslist. 
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Side-Oilers

Steve, that's really sad to hear.

What kind of scum would steal such a rare historic item out of a classic Shelby, while it's in the friggin' Mustang Owners Museum?!

Worse still, the thief may be a fellow Mustang/Shelby owner.  (Who else would likely go to the Mustang Owners Museum and steal a Hertz Shelby item?)

My already low opinion of humanity has just dropped another 1000 points.

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427hunter on July 24, 2023, 10:16:28 PM
I am really sorry the bag was stolen! You need to file a police report right away. Give the police copies of the photos of the bag and it's collectable value which I think would be at least $1,000. If you do not report it stolen you can not get it back. Make sure the place you left the vehicle is aware you filed a police report and tell them you want it passed along to all their employees that you want the bag returned. See if they have cameras and watch facebook marketplace, ebay, and craigslist.
+1 . Most likely a inside job IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Ugh, sorry to hear.  I assume you've let Steve know about it.  Any chance they have video surveillance?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

Wow have heard of similar, unfortunately, things taking place at shows and elsewhere. So sorry to hear again how some people can be but a good warning and lesson for others.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

That sucks....Hopefully the"karma police" are on the case....Definitely file a police report,the more documentation the better if it does turn up.Does the museum have insurance for this sort of thing?Condolences.

Corey Bowcutt

Steve, that is such a huge disappointment.  They say no good deed goes unpunished. 

Corey

FL SAAC

Quote from: Side-Oilers on July 24, 2023, 10:48:30 PM
Steve, that's really sad to hear.

What kind of scum would steal such a rare historic item out of a classic Shelby, while it's in the friggin' Mustang Owners Museum?!

Worse still, the thief may be a fellow Mustang/Shelby owner.  (Who else would likely go to the Mustang Owners Museum and steal a Hertz Shelby item?)

My already low opinion of humanity has just dropped another 1000 points.

+ 1

That's a big item

Video surveillance is your true friend

Good luck
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

Steve, is the museum being responsible about this?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on July 24, 2023, 09:31:24 PM
Last year I had my car on loan to the Mustang Owners Museum. While there someone apparently "borrowed" or perhaps to be more correct , stole this item from under the back seat. It's a Hertz suit bag but not just any old Hertz unit bag but one from the White House Press Corp. I'm hoping that whoever took it will take it upon themselves to return it with no questions asked. If they try and sell it just know you are buying a stolen object. It disappeared between approx Feb- May 2022. They also took a segmented rear brake shoe
Looking for any leads
Steve McDonald
Is your date right or should that be 2023?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on July 25, 2023, 08:19:28 AM
Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on July 24, 2023, 09:31:24 PM
Looking for any leads
Steve McDonald

Dates are correct
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on July 25, 2023, 08:37:06 AM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on July 25, 2023, 08:19:28 AM
Looking for any leads
Steve McDonald

Dates are correct
so that could have changed hands a few times since May of 2022, correct? Either way sorry for your loss. That sucks and I agree that it is most likely an inside job as someone walking out of a museum with that piece would have been noticed.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)