News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 GT500 #626

Started by scuf23, January 03, 2023, 04:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuf23

Reaching out to the forum here to see if anybody has information about #626
Current owner is in NJ and has had the car for 40+ years
Not original engine but a 428CJ and transmission swap from manual to auto
Anybody has gone to see it? or anybody you could recommend in NJ who could go and assess the car (I am in MA, so I could meet the person down there).
Many thanks in advance.

Bill

Quote from: scuf23 on January 03, 2023, 04:11:41 PM
Reaching out to the forum here to see if anybody has information about #626
Current owner is in NJ and has had the car for 40+ years
Not original engine but a 428CJ and transmission swap from manual to auto
Anybody has gone to see it? or anybody you could recommend in NJ who could go and assess the car (I am in MA, so I could meet the person down there).
Many thanks in advance.

NJ is a huge hotbed of SAAC members, it would be quite helpful to know if it is Northern, Central, or southern, NJ?

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

What kind of information are you looking for? I have seen the pictures.

Pretty sure those came from Facebook. The seller wanted to raise the price after questions were asked.

White and saddle interior
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

scuf23

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 03, 2023, 05:12:46 PM
What kind of information are you looking for? I have seen the pictures.

Pretty sure those came from Facebook. The seller wanted to raise the price after questions were asked.

White and saddle interior

Yes this is the car posted on marketplace ... located in Ewing NJ

In terms of my questions : #1 is clearly is this a legit 68 GT500 ? #2 how much original vs non original (engine and transmission changes are already very clear, others?) #3 Any specific area of concern?

I have owned classic mustang convertibles, coupes and fastbacks (still own a 65 FB) ...now keen on moving to a shelby but much to learn, so I am reaching out to the group.

Thank you.

Coralsnake

You will need to research the car to make an educated guess on its authenticity. No one can guarantee that. Get history back to pre 1987 is a good start.

Checking for body numbers under the Shelby tag and determining what sheet metal (if any) has been replaced

You know about the non matching drivetrain. The console also appears to be missing. Do you care about wheels and hubcaps? Original smog system? Incorrectly colored interior panels?

Best to have a skilled bodyman help. A Shelby guy isnt really going to add a lot to the picture, what is shown seems to be mostly correct

Contact the Shelby Registrar

Vinman@infionline.net

scuf23

Well received, thank you!!!

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 03, 2023, 06:03:24 PM
You will need to research the car to make an educated guess on its authenticity. No one can guarantee that. Get history back to pre 1987 is a good start.

Checking for body numbers under the Shelby tag and determining what sheet metal (if any) has been replaced

You know about the non matching drivetrain. The console also appears to be missing. Do you care about wheels and hubcaps? Original smog system? Incorrectly colored interior panels?

Best to have a skilled bodyman help. A Shelby guy isnt really going to add a lot to the picture, what is shown seems to be mostly correct

Vinman@infionline.net.     Why specifically pre-1987?Because of the registry that came out around then,or??Just curious as it's a moot point for me as I've had mine since 82...

Bill

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 03, 2023, 06:03:24 PM

Vinman@infionline.net

In addition to this, Vinny ("THE" SAAC registrar) is based in NJ, and should have someone he can suggest that can lay "hands and eyes" on the car for you.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

Pre 1987 is the first time the prices started to appreciate significantly. Before then there was very little economic incentive to create shenanigans.

Oh certainly there were sketchy cars then, but not nearly as many as there were after that time. It became a lot more tempting to bring cars to market.