News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 GT500 engine id decal

Started by shelbydoug, January 15, 2021, 09:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: JD on February 04, 2021, 04:47:55 PM
Here is your image Rotated 180,

Also, maybe we can consider calling the paper adhesive  tape strips "Labels" and the stamped metal plates "Tags" to help with understand which is being referred too?

Agreed - been trying to do that for my own purposes and reduce confusion.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Royce Peterson

Great photos - thank you.

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on February 04, 2021, 01:15:25 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 02, 2021, 01:01:43 PM
I have always assumed that the tag seen in the picture was 401 even though I believe this is a Erics automatic car. It may stand for be A01 instead.

Hello Bob and Everyone,

Yes, the tag on 0100 actually had "A 01" printed on it.  I have attached another photo of 0100's engine bay that was taken by Sports Car Graphic.  I have also attached a zoomed in portion of the engine bay photo taken by Car and Driver.  The "A 01" is clearly visible in the two photos.  If anyone ends up getting some of these tags made up, I would be interested in having one for 0100 which was:  Automatic trans with no EECS.

Thanks,
Eric
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

67_1183

Since the metal tags for 2490 2940 and 1847 (representing "late" and "mid") have been posted to this thread, I will add a couple "early" cars.

67400F7A00245    12/12/1966 SJ    404 A01
67410F4A00329    12/21/1966 SJ    405 A01

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

shelbydoug

I'm wonder now if the label looks exactly like the bottom line on these tags?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: 67_1183 on February 04, 2021, 08:56:17 PM
Since the metal tags for 2490 2940 and 1847 (representing "late" and "mid") have been posted to this thread, I will add a couple "early" cars.

67400F7A00245    12/12/1966 SJ    404 A01
67410F4A00329    12/21/1966 SJ    405 A01

Hello Everyone,

So, on the tag for car 0329, what does the "3" at the end of the top line indicate?

Thanks,
Eric

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on February 05, 2021, 02:43:28 PM
So, on the tag for car 0329, what does the "3" at the end of the top line indicate?

Thanks, Eric

Believe that is there to identify change level of the particular engine.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Adding more to the discussion and information ran across the following

Kevin Marti included in his Tagbook that he had Ford documents showing the following. The date of the information is not available at this time.

428 4V HP  with 4 speed         404 A01 Shelby GT-500
428 4V HP  with automatic      405 A01 Shelby GT-500

Small detail that I noticed that the codes are written with no dash between the first and second set of characters where the GT-350 ones he lists does. Hmm

Still need to post some more, maybe tomorrow

Wonder if part of the confusion is that they changed things some where during production. It is 1967 production remember   ::)

Might explain the two different codes on the engine tag I posted and the others

shelbydoug

The font on the label appears to be Microgamma Condensed.

...and am I seeing an unpainted thermostat housing on -00100? You could make a case that the front of the engine and waterpump aren't painted as well. Geese.

This is getting as bad as the Warren Commision's investigating of the Kennedy assassination.
Anyone have pictures of the gunman with the rifle in the catch basin?

It must be true that you don't take the brown sugar cube out of the refrigerator? If you do,just take only one.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 06, 2021, 08:48:30 AM

...and am I seeing an unpainted thermostat housing on -00100? You could make a case that the front of the engine and waterpump aren't painted as well. Geese.

This is getting as bad as the Warren Commision's investigating of the Kennedy assassination.

It must be true that you don't take the brown sugar cube out of the refrigerator? If you do,just take only one.  ;)
B+W can be tricky . If it the thermostat housing were unpainted then the unpainted  S7 finish shiny bolts would  appear a different shade and not the same as in the photo. I don't think a very good case for unpainted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 06, 2021, 09:17:40 AM

B+W can be tricky . If it the thermostat housing were unpainted then the unpainted  S7 finish shiny bolts would  appear a different shade and not the same as in the photo. I don't think a very good case for unpainted.

OK BUT the finish on the thermostat housing appears to match that of the intake manifold?

I see a difference between the thermostat housing and the waterpump. The paint tends to have the same texture no matter where they sprayed it.

I'm ok with the thermostat housing being painted, it just seemed so obvious to me in that picture that it wasn't painted.

There is no suggestion of overspray on the intake at the intersection of the two. Was the mask that tight? I have overspray leakage on the intake at about 5 o'clock. Not much but definitely there.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

just playing around, so if these were on a 1 inch tall roll they might look something like this??

(Will post on the SB thread of the similar topic too)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 06, 2021, 09:32:56 AM

OK BUT the finish on the thermostat housing appears to match that of the intake manifold?

I see a difference between the thermostat housing and the waterpump. The paint tends to have the same texture no matter where they sprayed it.

I'm ok with the thermostat housing being painted, it just seemed so obvious to me in that picture that it wasn't painted.

There is no suggestion of overspray on the intake at the intersection of the two. Was the mask that tight? I have overspray leakage on the intake at about 5 o'clock. Not much but definitely there.
Again tricky. To my eye I see the paint fading near the intake . In most cases on later cars there was a taped line above the thermostat housing on the intake with paint on the forward edge of the intake . Keep in mind this is the first serialized GT500 and was most likely one of the very first GT500 engines painted and so it may vary from later production once they got the hang of doing it
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on February 06, 2021, 09:58:23 AM
just playing around, so if these were on a 1 inch tall roll they might look something like this??

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?action=post;msg=114320;topic=13774.0
On the smallblock the "01" seems to be eliminated.

430dragpack

Quote from: JD on February 06, 2021, 09:58:23 AM

I'll take a couple 404 decals when someone gets them made.  Is there any decision on a possible different code for a thermactor engines by having the "E" prefix on the decal?  Or simply just not enough evidence to say it "probably" was that way, based on other Ford engine ID numbers.
Chris

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 06, 2021, 10:02:03 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 06, 2021, 09:32:56 AM

Again tricky. To my eye I see the paint fading near the intake . In most cases on later cars there was a taped line above the thermostat housing on the intake with paint on the forward edge of the intake . Keep in mind this is the first serialized GT500 and was most likely one of the very first GT500 engines painted and so it may vary from later production once they got the hang of doing it
This is a little off topic and a new thread should be started if more in depth is needed . I am not sure if you have his picture but this vintage intake picture shows the typical masking line for the intake. This one is especially messy with blow outs. There was a range ,some less messy and some most likely worse.