News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67-68 Shelby de Mexico GT350 (hardtop)

Started by Richstang, March 11, 2018, 07:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on March 14, 2018, 09:20:02 AM
Buenos dias

we have reached out to the following mustang groups Mejico Belize Honduras Guatemala Costa Rica Nicaragua and even Puerto Rico

So far the info is not good on models previous to 69

One lead in ciudad mejico says that in the streets of Leon in the colony of Condesa there may have been or is one.

In Culiacan,  Sinaloa  may have a lead that says they know of a individual who worked with Velasquez.   Attempting to locate him. Last seen about 1 to 2 years ago when he was interviewed by a local chanel on his automotive career

Contacts will get back to us maybe manana....

Thank you for reaching out to both of those groups. Hopefully one of them will find something to share!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

roddster

I've been to a few SAAC conventions.  Never seen a 67 or 68 except here on the forum in photos.  At the most of the conventions, there has been at least one 69 de Mexico.  Gee, don't recall one at SAAC 42 either.
  Add to the colors shown: Brittany blue (or whatever light blue color they called it in '69)

FL SAAC

continues to be a very elusive unicorn,  just got this from mejico
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

here is another picture of a 69

my contact is attempting to reach out to the ingeniero as he believes he may still have a 67 or 68 shelby de Mejico
This ingeniero is elderly,  lives in small town and has no internet s

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

these rims where bought from el ingeniero (the engineer) who is a elderly gentleman who worked for Velasquez

currently residing in sinaloa

I have all UNGOLD cars

Richstang

Interesting center caps on the Magstars.

Not sure but the rims on the left look like '69 Boss 302 rims.

Richstang

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on March 15, 2018, 10:43:16 AM

my contact is attempting to reach out to the ingeniero as he believes he may still have a 67 or 68 shelby de Mejico

Hi Tony, any news on the '67 or '68 Shelby de Mexico from your contact?

J_Speegle

Staying with the title and years of the post (69's are fairly easy to find pictures of)  Here is one I didn't see posted yet.

Have no information on either of these two cars being prepped for a race apparently

Looks like they are adding at least the trunk lid and end caps (car in back ground) to already built and modified (rear wheel wells changed and painted) Mustangs. Possibly the first two cars converted.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 29, 2018, 10:44:01 PM
Staying with the title and years of the post (69's are fairly easy to find pictures of)  Here is one I didn't see posted yet.

Have no information on either of these two cars being prepped for a race apparently

Looks like they are adding at least the trunk lid and end caps (car in back ground) to already built and modified (rear wheel wells changed and painted) Mustangs. Possibly the first two cars converted.

Great photo Jeff!!!
I knew I saw it before, but never looked at it close enough to realize it was a Shelby de Mexico hardtop. (I had a smaller version of this photo in my '68 T/A folder) This is probably the first time most of us have ever seen a 1968 version. The early style quarter panel reflector could mean it was one of the first built, but we'll probably never know for sure.

It looks like all the fiberglass is unpainted and just getting added to the car in the background. We see the factory worker fitting the driver side end cap. Also I'm not sure that is a race car. The fender doesn't look to have the larger flare like the car in the foreground.

We also see a hint of a third car in the lower left.
Thank You for posting this photo!
8)

Federico Garza

Quote from: Richstang on March 13, 2018, 10:52:26 AM
Here's the lime gold '68? hardtop noted in the original post that I suspect is a custom not a Shelby de Mexico

Thats an original one, ive talked to the owner several times thru facebook....

Richstang

Quote from: Federico Garza on April 09, 2018, 01:37:27 AM
Here's the lime gold '68? hardtop noted in the original post that I suspect is a custom not a Shelby de Mexico

Hi Federico,
Thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forum.

What more car you tell us about this car. Do you know the year?
It's hard to tell with the '68 front side marker and no marker on the rear. (although there does appear to be an emblem on the rear.)

I noted it as a likely clone because it looks nothing like the typical Shelby de Mexico hardtops we have shown here in this thread.
It has '66 10-spoke rims, and from what I've read they were only the later '67 style used on these cars from 67-70.
The side stripe is similar to a '68 California Special, another detail not previously seen on a Shelby de Mexico car.
It has a '67 Shelby fender emblem placed in the stripes (a different location than the correct spot on a '67 Shelby fastback).
The nose appear to be a standard Mustang version, while the hood appears to be a aftermarket '67 Shelby style that is shorter to fit with a Mustang nose.
Maybe the owner (past of present) to some liberties with the restoration.

If you can add any more information or photos, we (I) would certainly appreciate it. Thanks

tesgt350

Quote from: Richstang on April 09, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
Quote from: Federico Garza on April 09, 2018, 01:37:27 AM

Hi Federico,
Thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forum.

What more car you tell us about this car. Do you know the year?
It's hard to tell with the '68 front side marker and no marker on the rear. (although there does appear to be an emblem on the rear.)

I noted it as a likely clone because it looks nothing like the typical Shelby de Mexico hardtops we have shown here in this thread.
It has '66 10-spoke rims, and from what I've read they were only the later '67 style used on these cars from 67-70.
The side stripe is similar to a '68 California Special, another detail not previously seen on a Shelby de Mexico car.
It has a '67 Shelby fender emblem placed in the stripes (a different location than the correct spot on a '67 Shelby fastback).
The nose appear to be a standard Mustang version, while the hood appears to be a aftermarket '67 Shelby style that is shorter to fit with a Mustang nose.
Maybe the owner (past of present) to some liberties with the restoration.

If you can add any more information or photos, we (I) would certainly appreciate it. Thanks

It appears to be the 1967 Grill, Dash & Deck Lid Emblem on the rear Quarters.

Richstang

Thanks tesgt350,
I believe you are right about that rear quarter emblem.

FL SAAC

Quote from: Richstang on March 29, 2018, 07:58:24 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on March 15, 2018, 10:43:16 AM

Hi Tony, any news on the '67 or '68 Shelby de Mexico from your contact?

As of this moment nothing has turned up on 67 or 68 Shelby de Mejico. Interesting is that within the last weeks a 69 was sold. If I receive anything further on 67 or 68 I will post.
Regards

I have all UNGOLD cars

Bob Gaines

Food for thought - the Shelby ten spokes of the day were made for 1967 cars and not 1968 cars. The period tenspokes do not fit a 68 without thick wheel spacers because of the different single piston brake calipers.The wheels would fit on a 67 Brake caliper which also match's the rear quarters. A 68 fender could be easily switched onto a 67 body otherwise why have the prerequisite marker like in the front fender but not in the rear quarter. At the very least it is not a period photo given the tires that are on the car. Regardless one way or the other there is more to the story .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby