News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rebuilt Distributor and alternator

Started by Greg, April 15, 2020, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Hello, an update....

I rebuilt the original distributor in my 65, turned out really nice I think.  Working on the original alternator now, I see why they shelved it as one of the diodes had come loose from the board.  It's all cleaned and ready to reassemble once I have the new brushes and bearing.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

6S1568

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on April 15, 2020, 11:51:50 AM
Hello, an update....

I rebuilt the original distributor in my 65, turned out really nice I think.  Working on the original alternator now, I see why they shelved it as one of the diodes had come loose from the board.  It's all cleaned and ready to reassemble once I have the new brushes and bearing.
It may not matter to you if the distributor is clocked wrong. If it does then you have it installed a couple teeth off compared to factory I suspect. It will function just fine if already timed and ready to go.  From the factory the cap clip is typically approximately close to center forward when timed . At least that is the way they are clocked from the factory .The spark plug wires are position best from that orientation also given that was how they were cut so that they would accommodate that factory clocking position . Of course that factory position makes it somewhat difficult to clip and un clip the cap clips and is why many install it in a different position.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Thank you, also thank you Bob for the insight, I would like to have it as close to production as possible.

shelbydoug

Nice work but Gaines is correct. You are off one or two teeth counter-clockwise. The cap clips are basically 180 degrees front to back.

It will matter on the routing of the spark plug wires. If you don't relocate the distributor, you WILL find that the #1 wire and possibly more will be too short to use all the retaining clips.

#7 & 8 possibly also?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

100% agree  :)...  I have seen the FOMOCO name in the front in some pictures and in the back, intake side on others.  Which is correct from an assembly line perspective?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on April 17, 2020, 08:13:59 PM
100% agree  :)...  I have seen the FOMOCO name in the front in some pictures and in the back, intake side on others.  Which is correct from an assembly line perspective?
If you are referring to the trademark on the distributor then it is turned to the back typically from the factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Thank you Bob, that is the way I reinstalled it.  I appreciate the help!