News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Front Fascia Removal/Painting

Started by 67#0083, October 01, 2026, 05:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67#0083

Hi Guys, I'm having my '68 taken back to Acapulco Blue. I'm not a painter but I'm going to disassemble the car and then put it back together.

I have the whole nose unbolted but there are three carriage bolts connecting the top and bottom halves to the car in the grill opening. They all just spin when you turn the nuts and, short of welding something to the top of them to hold them in place, I see no other way to get them off. Any better ideas? Also:

1. Are those three carriage bolts supposed to be body color?

2. If so, would it make more sense to just paint the front end with the nose on the car? I think I can get some spacers in between the headlight buckets and front fenders to create a gap for when it's sprayed.

3. Any other good advice specifically around painting a '68?

Thanks!
Ryan
1964 FIA Cobra- 50th Anniversary
1965 GT350 #5S501 (Dad's)
1967 GT350 #0083 4-Speed
1968 GT350 #0083 4-Speed (Dad's)
1967 K-Code 4-Speed
1968 GT/CS 4-Speed
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428CJ (Dad's)
1971 Boss 351 (Dad's)
1972 Pre-L Pantera
2005 Ford GT (Dad's)

roddster

  Can't remember where, but I had a similar issue with spinning carriage bolts.
    I used appropriately size wire cutters to pinch the size of the head and hold the head from spinning.
  Yeah, might leave a minor mark but it is at least not welding anything to the top.

Corey Bowcutt

Yes, they should be body color.

Corey

KR500

#3
Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on October 02, 2026, 04:30:21 PMYes, they should be body color.

Corey
No they were not painted at first.They were not in place when the panel got painted,therefore they could not have been spray painted.There may be some evidence that A.O.Smith or selling dealers may have brush painted them after assembly on SOME cars, possibly to cover up rusting bolt heads before they shipped/sold them.There are photos of these cars coming down A.O.Smith's line were you can see the shiny plated and unpainted bolt heads. The only way I will accept a painted bolt head in this area is if it is brush painted after assembly. 
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267