News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through https://saac.wildapricot.org  to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT500 paint detail questions

Started by jimhyc, September 30, 2026, 05:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimhyc

I'm getting a little touch up work done on the Shelby at a local classic car paint shop. They do good work but want to make sure on the details before I drop it off.
1- front lower valance has a slight crack and getting that repainted. Does the inner side of it get painted deep maroon or something else? Currently it's a satin black on the inner side. I've seen photos of the plant pictures with the front end assembled at paint. So is the mounting hardware to fender aprons painted or natural finish?
2- what is the correct bolt and finish for the fenders to inner aprons?
3- what is the correct paint color for the filler between the front bumper and grille.
I've looked at lot of pictures and did some searching but couldn't find any definitive answers.
I'm only getting the top of the fenders blended from some scratches and the damage to the valance. This has been bugging me since I bought the car.
Thanks ...
1969 GT500
2005 Saleen S281
1973 MACH1 Q code
1967 Mustang
1965 Galaxie 500
1969 Thunderbird
1988 Turbo Coupe
1928 Pierce Arrow
1930 Pierce Arrow
Prior cars
1967 GT500
1970 GT500
1968 KR
1970 BOSS 429
Daytona Coupe, 427 Cobra - kits
1971 BOSS 351

Bob Gaines

Quote from: jimhyc on September 30, 2026, 05:57:18 PMI'm getting a little touch up work done on the Shelby at a local classic car paint shop. They do good work but want to make sure on the details before I drop it off.
1- front lower valance has a slight crack and getting that repainted. Does the inner side of it get painted deep maroon or something else? Currently it's a satin black on the inner side. I've seen photos of the plant pictures with the front end assembled at paint. So is the mounting hardware to fender aprons painted or natural finish?
2- what is the correct bolt and finish for the fenders to inner aprons?
3- what is the correct paint color for the filler between the front bumper and grille.
I've looked at lot of pictures and did some searching but couldn't find any definitive answers.
I'm only getting the top of the fenders blended from some scratches and the damage to the valance. This has been bugging me since I bought the car.
Thanks ...
1- before the front clip that was already assembled was attached to the car the back side of the front valance was spray painted a semigloss black. The black spray carried over to the attached backside of the front fenders on both sides where they attached to the front valance. 2- Fender bolts were zinc silver. AMK products sells correct ones.3- The correct paint color for the filler between the front bumper and grille is the same color as the grille since it was all painted assembled together at the same time. The color is close to dark argent (same color as used on the 70 Mach I side panels).
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jimhyc

1969 GT500
2005 Saleen S281
1973 MACH1 Q code
1967 Mustang
1965 Galaxie 500
1969 Thunderbird
1988 Turbo Coupe
1928 Pierce Arrow
1930 Pierce Arrow
Prior cars
1967 GT500
1970 GT500
1968 KR
1970 BOSS 429
Daytona Coupe, 427 Cobra - kits
1971 BOSS 351