News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through https://saac.wildapricot.org  to validate membership.

Main Menu

Artifact in a shed

Started by deathsled, September 29, 2026, 10:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

My father removed a 289 engine out of a highland green 67 fastback that he never restored. The car is long gone but the engine sits in a shed at his ski chalet in the Blue Mountains region. I don't think the fastback was a GT but it was very rough. I remember starting this car in the backyard (when he wasn't around) and the sound coming out of those headers was quite a terror. My question is whether it might be worth salvaging? Lots of rodents in that shed. And are those hipo headers? It is likely seized but it could be rebuilt with hipo goodies or?

Going to back the "truck" up here.  I looked online and those are not hipo headers actually referred to as exhaust manifolds rather than headers apparently.  I don't see the webbing around the back two exhaust tubes like the hipos.  No matter, it is a 289 so it has possibilities for my dad's blue car that is headed toward R model territory already.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

6s1640

Definitely save.  Can you see the engine assembly date and casting date on the block.  Someone will want.

Best of luck

Cory

deathsled

I haven't been there to see it.  I'm in Chicago and it's up around Georgian Bay, Ontario.  I only remember my dad had saved the engine and stuck it in the shed.  I spontaneously remembered it one day and had the tenant take a picture.  I have to get back to Canada before the snow flies to take a look and likely bring it back with me in the bed of a rental truck.  I know it came from his 67-fastback project car but little else.  He is no longer around to ask.  I might have it rebuilt there and bring it back as a backup engine to my dad's (now mine I suppose) blue 65 A code fastback.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SHELB66

To me it appears to be a 289 2bbl engine with standard exhaust manifolds (based on the one photo).

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

KR500

Quote from: SHELB66 on September 30, 2026, 10:47:32 AMTo me it appears to be a 289 2bbl engine with standard exhaust manifolds (based on the one photo).

Craig R.
Yes appears to be a 67 or 68 289 2V engine based on that photo
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

shelbydoug

Quote from: SHELB66 on September 30, 2026, 10:47:32 AMTo me it appears to be a 289 2bbl engine with standard exhaust manifolds (based on the one photo).

Craig R.

I agree. It is always a plus to have the original engine the car was built with but frankly it isn't worth much or even the effort to bring it home.

From the condition it appears to be in, it will probably require a rebuild? I would think that is likely at least in the $1,500 area. It isn't worth that much done.

You could donate it to a school in the area probably.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

I thought you meant the Blue Ridge Mountain range in the North Carolina area of USA.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Jbarela


shelbymotorsports

Like others have mentioned probably not worth the effort/expense to even bring the engine home. In my opinion the engine has almost no value in its current condition other than to someone restoring a Ford Mustang and the casting dates of your engine fall in line with their Ford Mustang build date. And even that use could be debated.

deathsled

Blue Mountains in Ontario, Canada is where the engine resides.  Been years since I last saw it.  The tenant only made one photo and this is it.  At least until I get back there.  I thought the core might be good to do a rebuild of a 289 hipo with the hipo goodies, but the consensus seems it is not worth it.  Maybe better just to get a K code block and go from there. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on October 01, 2026, 02:44:20 PMBlue Mountains in Ontario, Canada is where the engine resides.  Been years since I last saw it.  The tenant only made one photo and this is it.  At least until I get back there.  I thought the core might be good to do a rebuild of a 289 hipo with the hipo goodies, but the consensus seems it is not worth it.  Maybe better just to get a K code block and go from there. 

The regular blocks and the K code blocks are the same except for the caps. The K caps are a little heftier.

If you are going to build an engine from scratch and you want a K type block, the 302 Mexican block would be one possible way to go.
Those turn up often.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 01, 2026, 09:13:49 PM
Quote from: deathsled on October 01, 2026, 02:44:20 PMBlue Mountains in Ontario, Canada is where the engine resides.  Been years since I last saw it.  The tenant only made one photo and this is it.  At least until I get back there.  I thought the core might be good to do a rebuild of a 289 hipo with the hipo goodies, but the consensus seems it is not worth it.  Maybe better just to get a K code block and go from there. 

The regular blocks and the K code blocks are the same except for the caps. The K caps are a little heftier.

If you are going to build an engine from scratch and you want a K type block, the 302 Mexican block would be one possible way to go.
Those turn up often.
Another alternative is Cobra Automotive sells reproduction hipo main caps to retrofit to otherwise none hipo blocks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

#12
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 01, 2026, 11:37:39 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on October 01, 2026, 09:13:49 PM
Quote from: deathsled on October 01, 2026, 02:44:20 PMBlue Mountains in Ontario, Canada is where the engine resides.  Been years since I last saw it.  The tenant only made one photo and this is it.  At least until I get back there.  I thought the core might be good to do a rebuild of a 289 hipo with the hipo goodies, but the consensus seems it is not worth it.  Maybe better just to get a K code block and go from there. 

The regular blocks and the K code blocks are the same except for the caps. The K caps are a little heftier.

If you are going to build an engine from scratch and you want a K type block, the 302 Mexican block would be one possible way to go.
Those turn up often.
Another alternative is Cobra Automotive sells reproduction hipo main caps to retrofit to otherwise none hipo blocks.

I agree with the possibility of changing the caps also. The Mexican 302 caps are almost the same as the HiPo caps.

BUT anyone contemplating this change should be aware that in doing this you may be opening a can of worms. The block will need to AT LEAST be line bored.

The caps are not interchangeable as replacement parts and are always kept with the main block.

Line boring could also lead you into squaring up the block. The thought there is that some blocks with time warp themselves and need to be corrected.

You could also look for a Motorsport/Ford Racing A3 racing block. That is what I would look at now but if you find one, it is a $2,000 block.

I was looking for a C8FE Boss 302 block to build on. Those are like gold now since so many were severely damaged when a piston failed. There were problems with the 69 B2 pistons failing and causing catastrophic engine failure.

It all depends on what your budget is and what you are building. A Trans-Am level engine is gonna cost you and it doesn't necessarily have the same resale value. All food for thought.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

     "You could also look for a Motorsport/Ford Racing A3 racing block."


     I think you meant "A4" (M-6010-A4).   :)

     Scott.

shelbydoug

Quote from: pbf777 on October 02, 2026, 12:16:44 PM"You could also look for a Motorsport/Ford Racing A3 racing block."


     I think you meant "A4" (M-6010-A4).   :)

     Scott.

AH! Now I know why I couldn't find one!  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!