News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 stripe color

Started by mikeh, April 10, 2024, 03:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeh

I know a gentleman with an early 69 GT-350, red w/white interior. I know gold stripe is normal, but is it possible that it could have had white stripes originally? Would that be on the build sheet (if he can find it)?

Thanks in advance.

Coralsnake

It would not be on the build sheet. The build sheet and information on the Marti reports pertains to the car as built by Ford.

There were a few cases when cars received the incorrect colored stripes when being built. It would be pretty rare and you would need to document the car has never been resprayed or restriped.

Each color was assigned a specific colored stripe

A picture of the stripes is going to say a lot. Shoot pics of the rear quarters and door jambs
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

mikeh

It was repainted many years ago, so hard saying. Makes sense that it wouldn't be on the build sheet, my bad.
Thank you!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 10, 2024, 04:14:18 PMIt would not be on the build sheet. The build sheet and information on the Marti reports pertains to the car as built by Ford.

There were a few cases when cars received the incorrect colored stripes when being built. It would be pretty rare and you would need to document the car has never been resprayed or restriped.

Each color was assigned a specific colored stripe

A picture of the stripes is going to say a lot. Shoot pics of the rear quarters and door jambs
+1 . It is a difference in what is typical and what is out of the ordinary. The burden of proof is on the one trying to justify the out of the ordinary. One of our frequent posting members here has a 70 red GT350 convertible that decided to use white stripes when he restored because he liked them better. I suspect something like that happened to the car you are talking about too. Of course you can choose to invoke the anything is possible defense like so many others have before. Tell him to do whatever he thinks best given at the end of the day it is his car to do with as he wants.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: mikeh on April 10, 2024, 04:34:02 PMIt was repainted many years ago, so hard saying. Makes sense that it wouldn't be on the build sheet, my bad.
Thank you!
As Bob mentioned a guy here(me) put white stripes on my car as a personal preference. I have Shelby books from the early 80s that show white stripes on red car. I'm pretty sure that was a repaint preference. We see white stripes also on Gulfstream Aqua cars as they also only got the gold. The only red car I have seen with white stripes on it that was done at ao smith was Carroll Shelbys vert but that was repainted from a different color. Is my info correct,Bob, on Shelby's car that Jim restored?
  It isn't that hard to change the stripes back-just a lot of elbow grease and the correct tool.My car in 1970 and also as I have it now.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

tesgt350

Were all the Stripes Reflective? 

mikeh

Thank guys, I will pass along the info. I personally really like the white stripes especially with white interior, and he is really just doing it as a driver, but it is his call.

Coralsnake

Yes the were all reflective

shelbymann1970

Quote from: mikeh on April 11, 2024, 08:39:56 AMThank guys, I will pass along the info. I personally really like the white stripes especially with white interior, and he is really just doing it as a driver, but it is his call.
I chose white stripes to match my top. I understand. Why Ford made that piss yellow gold stripe is a mystery to me (late 60s thing?) and then put it on red and aqua cars where white is a natural bewilders me.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

69 GT350 Vert

I think competition red cars got white stripes.  Which red was it?

Coralsnake

Comp Red is the same as Calypso Coral (Orange) and yes they had white stripes

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969paint.html

SCJSTU

white stripes on a red car look so much better
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Bob Gaines

Royal Maroon which is in the red spectrum but was a early color that was discontinued got white stripes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby