News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT500 Shelby Racecar

Started by billmunny, April 09, 2018, 10:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmunny

1967 Shelby GT500 Road Race Car (with Small Block/GT350 Race History)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Shelby-Cobra-GT500-GT350/253540379291?hash=item3b082f2a9b:g:5XIAAOSwiuxaxOh-&vxp=mtr

While there are a few known 1967 Shelby GT350s that were road raced in the 60s and 70s, a GT500 road race car with race history from the late 60s, is very rare. This Shelby has perhaps the longest road race history of any GT500, having been race quite extensively from the 70s through the 90s, participating in B Production and GT1 classes. Initially equipped with a 428 C.I. big block, from 1971 to present the Shelby has been raced with a Ford small block. This vintage legal Shelby has raced in SVRA, VARA, CHR, SCCA and CSRG race events and is listed in the Shelby World Registry.

California Title in hand.

Contact me for more information.

Richstang

It's been listed on Craigslist in a few major cities. Might still be there.

I'm not sure if Bill is the current owner or if he's just sharing the auction listing.
I have it noted as #1132
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Shelby_r_b

Definitely an interesting car - LOVE the wheels and tires!

The interior isn't my cup of tea, but that's what it needs to be in order to race.   8)
Nothing beats a classic!

OldMil

Great looking car with a "tough guy" look.  I think the interior has more character than most race cars.  Would be fun to show and drive!

Bigfoot

I think the ad could include a few more details.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Tom Honegger

I have some Super 8mm movies from SCCA race at Mid Ohio...1975 (?). Shots include a Lime Gold '67 GT 500 (yes, a 500, not a 350) racing in the combined A, B Production race. I never saw it up close in the paddock. Sure wish I had done that & taken more pics.

gt350cs

Tom,

Great story. I hope to someday see someone post a story about seeing a 1967 GT350 doing autocross events in the Santa Clara area in California. My car had participation plaques in the car from 1970 events. Well you can always hope....

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Tom Honegger on April 12, 2018, 10:02:08 AM
I have some Super 8mm movies from SCCA race at Mid Ohio...1975 (?). Shots include a Lime Gold '67 GT 500 (yes, a 500, not a 350) racing in the combined A, B Production race. I never saw it up close in the paddock. Sure wish I had done that & taken more pics.
I have my theory on why so few GT500's in B production or for that matter any kind of road racing other then drag racing. I lived with one as a race car for a couple seasons before giving up on the idea. The car supposedly had the same kind of race (raced as a BB and a SB) history 3168 . I can see why so many that were born as a BB were converted to small block. Besides the effects of the heavy engine on handling ,the large engine and close quarters in the engine compartment it creates makes maintaining and adjusting during a race day event extremely time consuming and just plain difficult to accomplish. Effective headers are a nightmare.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Sure would like to see the engine bay, cooling systems and suspension of the car in the listing.

JMO; if the owner wants to generate more interest, he needs to post many more photos.