News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Shelby Buildings -LAX- New 10.02.24 - 4 new colored Pics May 65 w. Comparsion

Started by Szabo, July 06, 2019, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Another great photo! 

I agree with Brett (98SVT) and am also not convinced the Cobras in that photo had black windshield frames. 

Light/shadow and 60 year old transparency film (converted to digital via FB) will play tricks on your eyes.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

silverton_ford

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 12, 2024, 05:42:26 PM......Black windshield frames - no, look at the chrome on the side of the 55/6 Ford it's also black. Trick of shadows and light would account for many of the color shifts. ...... I would not use this photo as "proof" of any color changes or paint jobs. I might trust a properly exposed/stored Kodachrome slide.

Generally images over 20 years old will develop colour changes, lose detail and become grainy. If Kodachrome is stored properly it can be good for up to 100 years.
Quote from: Side-Oilers on May 12, 2024, 11:01:27 PMAnother great photo! 

I agree with Brett (98SVT) and am also not convinced the Cobras in that photo had black windshield frames. 

Light/shadow and 60 year old transparency film (converted to digital via FB) will play tricks on your eyes.

I understand what you guys are saying about time and photos.....  Time can change the film, paper and many aspects of the color.  There are endless reasons.... You make great points. 

I cannot answer if this photo was turned into a color photo later on or what film was used.  I found it on Facebook that was posted by the man who took the photo in June 1967.  It is really cool to dissect and inspect the details we see.

Quote from: Szabo on July 25, 2019, 05:55:40 PMon this Pic later made on LAX History, and even in beautifull Colour, we can see the same Angle of shooting with different Cars, the Notchback Hardtops befor transformed for Trans Am Racing and the Spoiler Prototyp SFM 5 S 319 behind the Notchback

I noticed the black windshield frames in reply 102 just like the photo posted in Reply 24 of this thread (above).  Notice the black on all the bright work of the Cobras although you can still see the chrome on the Mustangs.   

Is this a protective coating added by AC or more photo/image changes for many reasons discussed earlier?   Assuming it is a protective coating, are the Cobras finished and ready to be delivered to dealers or do they still need work done(referring to photo in reply 102)?  Looks like they have the Halibrands on them.

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Road Reptile

Hi again,
Quick check of this 427 CSX3324 shows P.D.I. Done by Hi Performance Motors on June 1st a
Thursday and invoiced by the selling dealer June 8th. Les drove the car "home" and had some work done June 19 in Pennsylvania. All this to say this picture should/could be dated early June. A few other comments- most cars shipped had to protect bright trim to
prevent corrosion-this must be what we see on the Cobras pictured. The inside view of the hangar is amazing and it looks like Chuck Cantwell in the background with a shirt and tie! Really enjoy this history. 8) 

shelbymann1970

Here is an excellent example of how colors change. The Robe looks blue but the car in the background is a 68 GT500 Acapulco blue car and it looks green. Pic taken at Graduation and the grad bought the car in March of 68. Another pic of the same car.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

tesgt350

Are those 3 Coupes in the color photo future Shelby SCCA/Trans Am Production Race Cars?

J_Speegle

Quote from: tesgt350 on May 16, 2024, 04:22:54 PMAre those 3 Coupes in the color photo future Shelby SCCA/Trans Am Production Race Cars?

Yes those were most likely 66 Group I or II coupes.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge