News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

auto shift handle set screw

Started by Rosco, June 10, 2024, 01:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosco

My 1969 shift handle set screw is not tight. I see its 10/32, is there enough threads on handle to tap and dye to 1/4-20nc?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rosco on June 10, 2024, 01:16:35 PMMy 1969 shift handle set screw is not tight. I see its 10/32, is there enough threads on handle to tap and dye to 1/4-20nc?
Instead I would try putting a small cut piece of electrical tape (small enough to just fit the thread area)on the threads to take up clearance between the threads of the screw and opening . Don't crank down while tightening because that is likely how it got extra clearance in the first place. I think you have to be careful not to open up a can of worms with trying to retap.Just my thoughts others may have different. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR Convertible

If you do have to re-tap it, I wouldn't jump to 1/4".  Maybe a 12-28? Or. a metric size in between.  Yes, I know it a sin to use metric on your old American iron, but sometimes it's the best solution.

propayne

A thought that jumps to my mind is that plumbers thread tape - like is used to make the threads on a shower head water tight.

It is super thin and conforms to the shape of the threads. You can wrap it around multiple times to add thickness.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bob Gaines

Quote from: propayne on June 10, 2024, 03:18:35 PMA thought that jumps to my mind is that plumbers thread tape - like is used to make the threads on a shower head water tight.

It is super thin and conforms to the shape of the threads. You can wrap it around multiple times to add thickness.

- Phillip
I would have suggested that too but thought that the electrical tape might be more substantial and stand up to the tightening more then the less substantial quality of the plumbers tape no matter how many times that it is wrapped to add thickness. At least that was my thought. I have used the electrical tape to take up clearance for stripped out screws and bolts before but have never tried it on something as small as the set screw.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rosco

thanks everyone. will try tape,

98SVT - was 06GT

A 20 thread pitch is too coarse. The handles are zinc castings (?) and not very thick in the area. They are soft and easily stripped. If the tape doesn't work try the next size up (SAE or metric) with fine thread.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Corey Bowcutt

I would tap it and install a 10-32, 1.5 diameter free running helical insert. It's tap size is larger that the 10-32 so should clean up the threads nicely plius you stick with the stock set screw.
Corey