News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Groovy Sharon Tate in a Cobra photo

Started by 1175, May 16, 2024, 07:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Another weird Cobra Manson connection:

Terry Melcher has been credited with helping to shape the sound of 1960s surf music in California......Melcher and Johnston also created another group, The Rip Chords, which had a top 10 hit with "Hey Little Cobra".

In 1968, Beach Boy Dennis Wilson introduced Melcher to ex-con and aspiring musician Charles Manson.

Manson met Melcher at 10050 Cielo Drive, the home that Melcher shared with his girlfriend, actress Candice Bergen, and musician Mark Lindsay.

Manson eventually auditioned for Melcher, but Melcher declined to sign him. There was still talk of a documentary being made about Manson's music, but Melcher abandoned the project after witnessing Manson fighting with a drunken stuntman at Spahn Ranch. Wilson and Melcher severed their ties with Manson, a move that angered Manson. (Beach Boys Mike Love wrote years later - Terry, Doris Day's only child, was extremely close to his mom. He had told her about Manson – and about some of his scary antics, his brandishing of knives, his zombie followers – and that Manson had been to the house on Cielo and she insisted he move out) Soon after, Melcher and Bergen moved out of the Cielo Drive home. The house's owner, Rudi Altobelli, then leased it to film director Roman Polanski and his wife, actress Sharon Tate.

On August 8–9, 1969, the house was the site of the murders of Tate ...Jay Sebring....by members of Manson's "family". Some authors and law enforcement personnel have theorized that the Cielo Drive house was targeted by Manson as revenge for Melcher's rejection and that Manson was unaware that he and Bergen had moved out.

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Cobra Ned

And continuing in the small world department, surely everyone knows that in the group of people mentioned previously, Jay Sebring wasn't the only Cobra owner. Who saw Dennis Wilson, drummer in the Beach Boys, drag-racing his bright yellow 289 Cobra at some L.A. tracks in the late '60s?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Cobra Ned on June 02, 2024, 08:19:57 PMAnd continuing in the small world department, surely everyone knows that in the group of people mentioned previously, Jay Sebring wasn't the only Cobra owner. Who saw Dennis Wilson, drummer in the Beach Boys, drag-racing his bright yellow 289 Cobra at some L.A. tracks in the late '60s?

Knew he owned one - didn't know he raced it.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TLea

One more Shelby/Manson connection. Connie Kreski was supposed to be at the house that night as well

FL SAAC

San  Fernando Raceway in California and the Cobra supposely was Dennis Wilson
Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"
I have all UNGOLD cars
I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys (Blue Coveralls) at the track May 1966
Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"
I have all UNGOLD cars
I am certainly not a Shelby Expert