News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Concours Restoration - Is it worth the expense

Started by Shelby4022, December 05, 2023, 06:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: TLea on December 10, 2023, 11:49:22 AM
Quote from: gt350shelb on December 09, 2023, 11:19:42 AM
Concours Restoration = super model "don't touch me"

Quality Driver = Cute Girl next door  " hey lets go get a beer"

Life is based on good decisions pick wisely    ;D
I don't get it, is there a reason you can't take the supermodel out for a beer? Seriously I think there is a misperception of what a concours car is. Yes most are trailer queens/museum pieces because people don't want them to degrade and there are those that build cars and never put fluids in or run them but a concours car is simply a car that is restored to as delivered condition (which is why I would never consider a car thats never been run or tested as complete). A concours car should be able to gas up, hop in and go and drive safely.  All the cars I own personally are restored like this and driven and every car I restore for others has same ability

I thinks it's about the $ once that super model is out drinking beer she's no longer good enough for the cover of Vogue. Those little chips etc can be touched up and her reputation restored but it takes money and how long she needs to be in rehab is a consideration for the guy who already waited 2-3 years for his dream girl to show up.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bigfoot

I'm with Tim on this one. There is no reason you can't drive an immaculate and perfect car. When we did the first NE. regional SAAC convention in Hershey Pennsylvania, we had a nearly 100 mile rally and there were several concourse cars participating including a 65-350 that had taken either silver or gold at SAAC 33.
And Tim would be a good guy to restore your car if you ever went that route.

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

J_Speegle

Another twist on use of a well restored auto has been practiced by allot of owners, of all makes of cars, in the past especially if their focus is on enjoying the cars fully and not just focusing on the all mighty dollar. That is to restore the car to the level you have identified as your goal then after you have won all the awards you wanted use the car and then enjoy it take way. Unlike some people I don't see the benefit of showing a car for ten years or more like some in the Mustang world do but instead make a dual purpose car just at different times during your ownership.  That is not to say that you can't do both at the same time, fair number of those people/cars out there, my hat is off to those that wish to choose that route and accomplish both at the same time. Recall a friend who drove his car to a national show (Mustang side of life) and he won his class then was up for the  Best of Show award. Down to his car and one other, but the organization choose not to award him only because he drove the car - not because of anything they found on the car that day.  Not focusing on what took place only that you can drive and show successfully at the same time.

Just offering a different angle at looking at the possibilities.

One last thought. Though the title of the thread is "Is it worth the expense"  the discussion appears to focus on just $$$'s and not if doing a true restoration is worth the expense in the enjoyment of the accomplishment and personal satisfaction can provide. Especially for those doing non-catalog cars or 100% credit card ones. Though I understand that is the choice made by some owners.Involvement, research and effort has its own rewards IMHO
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

FL SAAC

don't ask anyone for something you already have and what to do with it

the question you must ask yourself is, what is going to make you happy.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bill

Quote from: Shelby4022 on December 05, 2023, 06:41:25 PM
This is the 68 GT500KR - 4022 that I own. There are obvious items that need to be changed, fixed/replaced etc.  I am not sure about the rarity and or value of this particular build.  I bought from a good buddy as an investment and am interested in restoring this vehicle to "new" condition.  Whether that condition is Concours or near Concours I have yet to decide. Several questions I have,
1.  Is it worth a full "Concours" restoration? 
2.  If so, who would everyone recommend for the project?

Thanks to all in advance!!!

Shelby4022

1: As long as you are not looking to create a profit center out of the car, yes.
2: Tlea

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0