News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Why did the Forum server go down?

Started by shelbydoug, September 26, 2023, 08:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

For the second time in the last two weeks, the Forum server was not in service.

Was/is there an issue with the server or was this some type of un-announced maintenance?

There seems to be no changes in the format of the operating software here so it couldn't have been that?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

NC TRACKRAT

...which causes me to recall the complete failure of Forum V.1 and the loss of all history.  We do have back-up, don't we??
5S071, 6S1467

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Let's hope the servers don't crash and wipe out everything again.  I'm not sure that some/many/most (?) of us won't just bail completely at that point.

Would be a sad occurrence, for a lot of reasons, but also because the 50-or-so of us who post regularly/semi-regularly will have to find a new place to go.  I can't offer my garage...not large enough. 

Richard? Scott? Doug?  Anyone want to step-up? 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 26, 2023, 10:30:40 PM
Let's hope the servers don't crash and wipe out everything again.  I'm not sure that some/many/most (?) of us won't just bail completely at that point.

Would be a sad occurrence, for a lot of reasons, but also because the 50-or-so of us who post regularly/semi-regularly will have to find a new place to go.  I can't offer my garage...not large enough. 

Garage is full, Van and as for creating a website and regulating it, I do not have the requisite knowledge or the perseverance to keep things going and moderate and so on.  Nor do I have much Shelby knowledge that is worth even two cents.  Most of you gentlemen have the knowledge and the minutiae that keep the record straight.  I think we will be fine here.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

TA Coupe

I have a couple of MANCAVES we could meet in but it would be a long drive for most of you. I'll fire up the barby and fill the double Kegerator and we can hop in the pool afterwards 😎

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

There isn't much hope in me saving it. I can barely type.

I think the concern is over why it happened. Was it a planned shut down for repairs or updates or is the server that undependable that it could go out at any time now?

There was no indication or warning that it would be down at a specific time to my knowledge?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

Did anyone else see that post by someone saying that they were a Hacker? It was a few days before the "Mini Crash"

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

Side-Oilers

Roy,  No, I didn't see that.  What did it say?   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

TA Coupe

I don't remember exactly what they said but it was their first post and they simply announced they were a hacker. I thought I took a screen shot but can't find it if I did. I remember thinking how long before something happens 🤔

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

Quote from: TA Coupe on September 28, 2023, 09:58:34 PM
I don't remember exactly what they said but it was their first post and they simply announced they were a hacker. I thought I took a screen shot but can't find it if I did. I remember thinking how long before something happens 🤔

Roy

The lack of an explanation is another short coming from the moderator here. Is there a problem with the server or not?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

Quote from: TA Coupe on September 28, 2023, 06:40:25 PM
Did anyone else see that post by someone saying that they were a Hacker? It was a few days before the "Mini Crash"

Roy

I sort of remember seeing it.  The word Hacker stood out to me.

Sfm6sxxx

Let's hope the servers don't crash and wipe out everything again.

God forbid the post counts get lost

6S1114

NC TRACKRAT

Does anyone read this stuff beside us?  Are we the only ones who givea$&#t whether the Forum is secure from another fatal crash?
5S071, 6S1467

shelbydoug

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on September 29, 2023, 08:18:34 PM
Does anyone read this stuff beside us?  Are we the only ones who givea$&#t whether the Forum is secure from another fatal crash?

An excellent question but the answers appear apparent to you and I.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!