News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 Shelby project car

Started by azdriver, September 16, 2023, 09:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

The reason I ask is 815 and 816 were twins
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Prototype

Quote from: Survivor on September 17, 2023, 08:51:44 AM
Why can't pp/owners just leave a car like this alone and enjoy it is as a nice driver-and then put it up for sale in the same condition-would probably bring close to 100k.  Way too easy-quick grab the wrench and start tearing her down...

Agree

Prototype

Might be relevant to mention that in all likelihood the VIN or derivative stamp would have ben very likely on the head not block. Which is to say that unless we or the buyer get more information its hard to say for certain anything about matching numbers etc , blah blah

I don't know the car or seller and no dog in this debate but just presenting a "side" point of view .

shelbydoug

I don't see where adding a  "period correct" drive train to the car is a poor decision and out of the question and a death nil to it's value?

I think that only a person that is not experienced in that area or has their own motives would make a statement like that?

I suppose that point of view is kin to a religious fundamentalist that suggests it is only possible if you are God? Beats me?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Some of the highest selling 1968s of all time, didn't have their original engines. Not really a factor

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 18, 2023, 02:48:07 PM
Some of the highest selling 1968s of all time, didn't have their original engines. Not really a factor

There is something that I remember Kopec saying. Something to the effect of, "we always knew that these cars were special, just not the extent".
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigfoot

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 18, 2023, 02:48:07 PM

Indeed
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

68stangcjfb

Actually, was this car built in the time frame that they were stamping the partial vins on the back of the intake manifolds?
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Rodster-500

Quote from: SAM83 on September 17, 2023, 12:45:18 PM
He's only 2 hours from me. Could knock on his door and offer money for the plate as mine is also Acapulco/saddle from Hayward Ford. ;D. plus would give me an excuse to buy gas for $1/gal cheaper by crossing into NV

Mine too!  8)

Wedgeman

I used to own #817 in the early 70's....Acapulco /Tan GT500....Metke Ford, Bellevue WA.... 8)

Coralsnake

I chatted with the owner, he told me the original motor was gone. 

The intake was a great suggestion though...

KingOfTheRoad

Quote from: Survivor on September 17, 2023, 08:51:44 AM
Why can't pp/owners just leave a car like this alone and enjoy it is as a nice driver-and then put it up for sale in the same condition-would probably bring close to 100k.  Way too easy-quick grab the wrench and start tearing her down...

Hi there. As the seller of this particular Shelby, allow me to address that. This car was NOT a nice driver. Yes it ran and drove, and technically could have been kept on the road as such. But not many people actually enjoy driving around a very worn out, rough car that needs everything. Especially so when you have to pay high five figures for it.

This car had a 427 side-oiler with Cobra Jet heads and a Galaxie C6 with no reverse installed in it when my customer bought it. Original drivetrain long gone. Had a leaking head gasket, among many fluid leaks. Original carb, distributor, radiator, fan shroud all missing. Front end fiberglass badly damaged. Whole car totally worn out, suspension was ragged, interior was very rough with an absolutely shredded driver's seat. Windshield and back window leaked. And had typical California daily driver rust in the passenger floor and trunk dropdowns as a result. Had a poor quality exterior-only paint job at some point in its life, and the paint was just trash. Not in any way savable or "survivor" quality. I feel like the before pictures made that abundantly clear, but I can only assume people just aren't looking closely at them. This car was way rougher than anybody would ever consider a "survivor". Just because something runs and drives does not automatically make it a survivor. Believe me, I'm a big fan of leaving clean original survivors alone. This was NOT a candidate by any rational definition.

All that aside.. the original goal for the project was to build a "holy grail" type keeper for the owner.. a real Shelby, built his way. Lots of modifications to take advantage of lots of improvements in technology over the last 55 years. However, a superior car came along that immediately became the replacement holy grail: A Special Yellow four speed KR. We switched our focus to the KR, and this 500 suddenly went to the back burner. Well, fast forward a couple odd years, and the realities of timeframes and finished value meant the owner no longer wanted to finish this car.

The point made above about some folks not being able to afford a finished car is 100% true. It's a lot easier for some folks to hand over five figures and spend a few years working on it than hand over well into the six figure range for a properly finished car. But there's also the equally valid point that some people just want to build their own car. Either to build it the way they want, or to just know it was done right. So yes, as said above, projects like this usually sell for more than the sum of their parts - as this one just did today finally.

Further, sometimes the car you want simply isn't available finished. A car equivalent to the Special Yellow KR I'm building for him now simply does not exist in the market that I have seen. The huge majority are bone stock restorations, and that's not what he's looking for. So if you're going to build it your way, why start with a finished car? Conversely, why try to save $10-15k on the purchase price by buying a RUSTY bucket that will cost $30k just in metal work before it even enters the body shop? A lot of people don't make these calculations. The fact is that this car needs almost no metal work, which will save cost and time in the restoration process.

KingOfTheRoad

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 19, 2023, 05:33:32 AM

That brings up a good question, so I just looked at the back of the PI intake that was installed on it and there does not appear to be a partial VIN anywhere on it.

KingOfTheRoad

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 19, 2023, 05:33:32 AM

Also, to your point about original engines not being terribly important.. case in point, the deal I just worked out with the buyer does NOT include the "correct" replacement 428PI engine, but instead includes a 428CJ block and heads instead. We'll either keep the PI to use it in something else, or sell it. But it obviously wasn't that important to the buyer either.

Coralsnake

Thanks for the updates

Be sure to contact Vincent with your updates

Vinman@infionline.net