News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Should we remove members post counts from the forum?

Started by Bill, September 13, 2023, 06:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln tech

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 16, 2023, 07:46:17 AM
Here is the issue I see with spamming: I usually have SAAC running in a tab even when I'm not looking at the forum. I hit to the Recently discussed topics. There have been some that I have missed due to one person showing up on the majority of recent topics so some relevant to me are buried in the sections due to the spamming. I just did a screen shot a minute ago and this is the typical look of what I see. See what I mean?
It's done all the time to make sure his posts are always on top , Why? It's a sickness .

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Lincoln tech on September 16, 2023, 08:33:02 AM
Here is the issue I see with spamming: I usually have SAAC running in a tab even when I'm not looking at the forum. I hit to the Recently discussed topics. There have been some that I have missed due to one person showing up on the majority of recent topics so some relevant to me are buried in the sections due to the spamming. I just did a screen shot a minute ago and this is the typical look of what I see. See what I mean?
It's done all the time to make sure his posts are always on top , Why? It's a sickness .
I don't have a problem with his posting topics like some do I have a problem on how every day he rehashes his so they are like you describe. I usually come on during the day and done by 3-4 looking at the forum until the next morning. I've seen 69-70 topics I missed because the time they were posted  and the time I would get back to the forum they were no longer "recent topics" because of one individual. I have many Florida car show/ cruises/ coffee events memorized by seeing then day after day in the recent posts part on the main page. Anyone else feel the same way?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

Jhockman

We are constantly fighting negativity

Lincoln tech

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 16, 2023, 08:40:21 AM
Quote from: Lincoln tech on September 16, 2023, 08:33:02 AM
I don't have a problem with his posting topics like some do I have a problem on how every day he rehashes his so they are like you describe. I usually come on during the day and done by 3-4 looking at the forum until the next morning. I've seen 69-70 topics I missed because the time they were posted  and the time I would get back to the forum they were no longer "recent topics" because of one individual. I have many Florida car show/ cruises/ coffee events memorized by seeing then day after day in the recent posts part on the main page. Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes. To me that is the point of this thread.

The poster you are referring to, views his posts as a positive thing to this forum while remaining relatively harmless to the community.

Just the fact that this thread continues to be a reflection against one poster in particular, simply by the shear quantity of "make it stop" reactions by 5 pages of posts proves to me, or at least is a very strong indication that something should be done to prohibit his further posts/damage, for the overall good of this community.

His absence is not going to create an unfillable void here.

Why that is so difficult to see by the moderator is just unrecognizable to me and to many others that have posted here in this thread?

To continue my thought on that, I am wondering if it is the moderator that is the ultimate problem here and perhaps replacing that concept with something else should seriously be considered?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

How was the Captain Dave problem handled  as it worked?

computerworks

Thanks for all the input.

A displayed post count is an intrinsic of the Forum template. Its purpose is to simply add credibility to respondents, indicating a veteran forum status.
Unlike other forums, there is no extra benefit to having an elevated post count here.

Some seem to think it is a negative motivator... so we'll see if it can be blanked out

Ron

rhjanes

"Recent Post" comment.

You might want to try what I do on this forum, and as many others I can if they support it.  I ignore the "Recent Post" thing that pops up on many forums as a default.  I go and find the "Unread Posts since last visit" and click that.  Then I see a list of new posts which I've not seen.   Recent Posts shows stuff that I've already seen, but still falls in the forum software definition of "Recent".  I find if I get on every day, unless there has been a spammer on, the list is one page.  Maybe once a week it will show there is a second page.  In a few minutes, I can scan down and open the ones that I've posted in or that I have an interest in.  Some are updated daily (car photos, photos of CS).  I click and read the ones I wish.  Which removes them from my list.  Once I've look at everything, I find the "Mark All Posts Read" and click that.  Do that so when you next get on, you only see what changed since your last visit.   If it doesn't interest you, just don't read it and by "Mark All Posts Read" it will be gone, unless it gets updated again.
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

shelbydoug

Quote from: Special Ed on September 16, 2023, 10:19:17 AM

His feelings eventually got hurt. He left and never came back.

I was told by another member that still is close to him, that he blamed me for orchestrating it. I am not that influential.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Lincoln tech

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 16, 2023, 05:26:41 PM

The current one has no feelings so it's business as usual . What would posses someone to still continue the same noncence seeing that so many people don't like what you do ????

shelbydoug

Quote from: Lincoln tech on September 16, 2023, 05:48:51 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on September 16, 2023, 05:26:41 PM

The current one has no feelings so it's business as usual . What would posses someone to still continue the same noncence seeing that so many people don't like what you do ????

Narcissism.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Six pages of posts about the problem child  we all know who it is and  Still no action .  must be an inside  deal made with the devil .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on September 16, 2023, 09:25:19 PM
Six pages of posts about the problem child  we all know who it is and  Still no action .  must be an inside  deal made with the devil .

"Point of order". The original post does not deal with having someone banned or blocked. It only deals with blocking the view of post totals.

Therefore no response to blocking someone specifically is seen as necessary or even acknowledged.

It would seem that some certain individual here has some type of hold over the authorities involved.

I'm more likely to be censured here for posting this then "Mr.Popularity" is.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Lincoln tech

Or he has naked pictures of someone in the upper management  :-\

gt350shelb

Quote from: Lincoln tech on September 17, 2023, 08:36:36 AM
Or he has naked pictures of someone in the upper management  :-\

yep
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .