News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

ebay 1966 owners manual

Started by rp04, September 05, 2023, 04:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp04

item #186055605663. Real or fake? I think I know.

s2ms

I spoke with the seller, he believes it is the original manual from 6S076, and had been with the car since at least 1972. I mentioned the reasons IMO it is not an original 1st printing and provided some evidence but he chose not to change the description.

He also said the dual point he is selling is from the same car.
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

It looks to be a original although poor condition and not a first printing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 05, 2023, 05:35:56 PM

Bob, as I understand it the "2nd printing" is post 1966 - only the first printing with the correct fold and non bolded "optional" were original to the cars correct?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427hunter on September 05, 2023, 07:49:22 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 05, 2023, 05:35:56 PM

Bob, as I understand it the "2nd printing" is post 1966 - only the first printing with the correct fold and non bolded "optional" were original to the cars correct?
Sorry but I don't think I understand your question .You my be thinking about the 65 GT350 manual and its fold out page with the 66 manual which does not have a fold out page.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

Oh, I thought you were aware of the differences in the 66 owners manual with the later reprint. The quickest tells are in reprinting of the illustration in the middle of the manual. The interior paragraph had a hole punch from being in a binder and the word "optional" had some of the letters missing in the reprinting, in the original manual the whole word "optional" (not bolded) appears. Also the fold through the illustration of the gt350 in the middle of the manual is through the gt350 on the stripe on the reprinting, where the 1st printing original manual the fold if ahead of the gt350. Also in the reprinting the cobra pan lettering in the illustration is not clear like the 1st printing. As far as I know the second printing was produced after 1966.

P.S. the ebay manual that just sold is not an original but a reprint - albeit an early reprint.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427hunter on September 05, 2023, 10:00:57 PM
Oh, I thought you were aware of the differences in the 66 owners manual with the later reprint. The quickest tells are in reprinting of the illustration in the middle of the manual. The interior paragraph had a hole punch from being in a binder and the word "optional" had some of the letters missing in the reprinting, in the original manual the whole word "optional" (not bolded) appears. Also the fold through the illustration of the gt350 in the middle of the manual is through the gt350 on the stripe on the reprinting, where the 1st printing original manual the fold if ahead of the gt350. Also in the reprinting the cobra pan lettering in the illustration is not clear like the 1st printing. As far as I know the second printing was produced after 1966.

P.S. the ebay manual that just sold is not an original but a reprint - albeit an early reprint.
I don't think I deserve a snarky come back . At least that is the way it comes across in print. Yes I know the various differences . I just didn't understand because of the way you phrased it and given I am proficient authenticating original 65-70 Shelby manuals I thought you were referring to a 65 fold out page when you said fold and not a more accurate center fold picture. The later print alternative factory replacement manual shows the blank round hole punch circles. The repros on the other hand try to fill the holes with letters that are out of character with the other fonts. The ebay auction example is a alternative or replacement factory produced manual that was used in case the one put in the car at SA didn't get put in the glove box , it was misplaced or stolen. This could have been replaced by the dealer before being sold to the first owner. It is still a vintage original (although in poor condition in that case) and if in better condition would not be a deduction in concours given it is conceivable that it could have been replaced at the dealer. FYI there is yet another even later alternative factory manual that has a blueish cover that is even more primitive looking , think making a copy of a copy. 66-70 all had various alternative factory replacement owners manuals . 65 is the only year Shelby that has just one version of owners manual and not even the entire 65 GT350 production got manuals from SA . With all that said the point is I was pointing out it is a original manual but it is not a first printing manual  and I never inferred it was.  If you think the Ebay example is not original Shelby you are misinformed.

Bob Gaines

I thought I would add that I believe that the when Shelby realized they needed more of the 66 manuals initially for replacements etc. they took a not so perfect file copy which apparently had the holes punched from being in a file binder they copied the original and the result was the empty holes and diminished resolution of illustrations like the Cobra oil pan etc. It is a good example of Shelby's not so perfect way of doing things and or keeping costs down.

427hunter

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 05, 2023, 11:28:38 PM

I don't think I deserve a snarky come back . At least that is the way it comes across in print. Yes I know the various differences . I just didn't understand because of the way you phrased it and given I am proficient authenticating original 65-70 Shelby manuals I thought you were referring to a 65 fold out page when you said fold and not a more accurate center fold picture. The later print alternative factory replacement manual shows the blank round hole punch circles. The repros on the other hand try to fill the holes with letters that are out of character with the other fonts. The ebay auction example is a alternative or replacement factory produced manual that was used in case the one put in the car at SA didn't get put in the glove box , it was misplaced or stolen. This could have been replaced by the dealer before being sold to the first owner. It is still a vintage original (although in poor condition in that case) and if in better condition would not be a deduction in concours given it is conceivable that it could have been replaced at the dealer. FYI there is yet another even later alternative factory manual that has a blueish cover that is even more primitive looking , think making a copy of a copy. 66-70 all had various alternative factory replacement owners manuals . 65 is the only year Shelby that has just one version of owners manual and not even the entire 65 GT350 production got manuals from SA . With all that said the point is I was pointing out it is a original manual but it is not a first printing manual  and I never inferred it was.  If you think the Ebay example is not original Shelby you are misinformed.

Not trying to be snarky Bob, I thought you were unaware nothing more then that. The ebay manual is not original (as new in glovebox) it's an early reprint that's what I said.

P.S. I have always been appricative/respectful of your knowledge.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427hunter on September 05, 2023, 11:35:11 PM

Not trying to be snarky Bob, I thought you were unaware nothing more then that. The ebay manual is not original (as new) it's an early reprint that's what I said.
Ok I am relieved to know it wasn't meant snarky. I agree that it is a early reprint but as I explained it is a factory reprint and not a repro. Also although different then what Shelby put in the car it was a factory authorized replacement and could have conceivably found its way in a car prior to a dealer selling to the first customer . 

427hunter

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 05, 2023, 11:41:33 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on September 05, 2023, 11:35:11 PM

Not trying to be snarky Bob, I thought you were unaware nothing more then that. The ebay manual is not original (as new) it's an early reprint that's what I said.
Ok I am relieved to know it wasn't meant snarky. I agree that it is a early reprint but as I explained it is a factory reprint and not a repro. Also although different then what Shelby put in the car it was a factory authorized replacement and could have conceivably found its way in a car prior to a dealer selling to the first customer .

I have always been appricative/respectful of your knowledge.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Bob Gaines

I appreciate the sentiment .Thank you very much. Here are some pictures of 66-70 Shelby factory replacement manuals. So it was not isolated to that one 66 manual being discussed . I did not put the original 66 manual in this owners manual picture because unless close up you can't tell the difference between the first printing cover next to the replacement cover of the white and blue 66 manual.

s2ms

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 05, 2023, 11:53:58 PM
I appreciate the sentiment .Thank you very much. Here are some pictures of 66-70 Shelby factory replacement manuals. So it was not isolated to that one 66 manual being discussed . I did not put the original 66 manual in this owners manual picture because unless close up you can't tell the difference between the first printing cover next to the replacement cover of the white and blue 66 manual.

Where does the light blue/dark blue 66 replacement manual fit into all this? It is very similar to the ebay manual we are discussing in that it is not cropped to the edges of the dark blue artwork making it larger than both the white/blue replacement shown and original first printing manual. Is it considered another replacement version or perhaps a copy of the white/blue replacement?
Dave - 6S1757