News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 Shelby center console lid

Started by anghelrestorations, July 27, 2023, 08:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridgeter

I know this is an old post but would be helpful to see a pic of the underside of console lid that screws to the console plate. Is the vinyl stapled or glued on?I'm having my lid cover restored, so I bought a reproduction from Branda in the interim and seems like it's missing padding material.
68.5 CJ WW/Black 4 spd
69 Mach One CJ Winter Blue/Black 4 spd
68 Shelby GT500 Highland Green Auto
69 Grand Prix SJ Triple Black 428 4spd
79 Trans Am Nocturne/Camel 4 spd

shelbymann1970

Quote from: ridgeter on May 20, 2024, 08:32:09 PMI know this is an old post but would be helpful to see a pic of the underside of console lid that screws to the console plate. Is the vinyl stapled or glued on?I'm having my lid cover restored, so I bought a reproduction from Branda in the interim and seems like it's missing padding material.
If you wait a few days I'll have an original untouched console from a late Jan car I can see.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

ridgeter

68.5 CJ WW/Black 4 spd

Coralsnake

It should be just the way yours was when you bought the car.

:D

The vinyl cover is stretched over the pad, glued to the inner metal and a finish plate is screwed over that.

Your console lid was fine, why mess with it? Take it off and get out your needle and thread to replace the old threads

Everytime you take original parts off you are loosing history and value

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

ridgeter

I agree with you. Original cover has a bad repair and split on both sides so I plan to take it off and repair/reinforce from the back, if that is possible. The plate on the bottom has the signature so I am trying to figure what I will encounter if I unscrew the plate. Yikes.

The Branda repro is very thin. See below. 
68.5 CJ WW/Black 4 spd

Coralsnake

You will the original flaps glued to another metal base
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

ridgeter

68.5 CJ WW/Black 4 spd

Steve Meltzer

Does anyone make an attractive, yet protective, cover for that console pad? I find that I often rest my right forearm there, and would like to preserve and protect that imprint when driving. Any suggestions? Thank you, Steve.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PMDoes anyone make an attractive, yet protective, cover for that console pad? I find that I often rest my right forearm there, and would like to preserve and protect that imprint when driving. Any suggestions? Thank you, Steve.
I am not aware of a protective cover made especially for the console lid . If you use the lid for a arm rest I would suggest at least a microfiber towel to protect the lid from the oils of your skin having a adverse effect on the vinyl.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TOBKOB

[quoteDoes anyone make an attractive, yet protective, cover for that console pad? I find that I often rest my right forearm there, and would like to preserve and protect that imprint when driving. Any suggestions?][/quote]

I have kept a couple of towels in my cars for decades. I have been able to find ones that match the interior color and one stays on my console lid for the same reason as you say. I have towels in my Shelby, Wife's Lincoln, two Superdutys, Silverado, and all my Model A's. They help protect the lid and have come in handy after getting caught in a downpour several times.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Steve Meltzer

I started out using a nice microfiber towel, but I became a bit frustrated because it wanted to slide all over the place. Now, I'm using a very thin piece of rubber that I cut to fit, but it too, wants to slide around. At least it's better than nothing. If my wife were a "balabusta" (Yidddish for a complete homemaker, and often the ruling matriarch) I would have her make something with an elastic edging to tightly grip the console cover. Oh well, she's not.steve

ridgeter

68.5 CJ WW/Black 4 spd