News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

fender repair

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, April 29, 2020, 08:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

My 69 GT500 came with 2 original fenders, but it is obvious that there had been previous damage and poorly (visually noticeable) repairs attempted. The exterior looks good, but the underside and the front lip around the headlight bucket is ???????  Has anyone had any luck at finding a good place or way to correct this OR is it better to bite the bullet and purchase replacement fenders. And if repair the originals is the suggestion, does anyone know of a good place in North Georgia to perform the work?

Special Ed

Repait originals the back side finish is noticeably different and in center of fender u can reach up and feel the S9MS #s moulded in,

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I didn't know of the S9MS #.  And chance you have a photo so I can go over to the shop that has the car and look my fenders over?  I am not exactly sure where to look so the photo would help

Special Ed

just above top center of front tire up about 5 " or so on inside front fender. Just be careful as I have seen past restorers sand off those s9ms #s  on fenders  hood  and valance panels and that hurts the value of original fiberglass.

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

was this number stamped in to the material or rubber stamped on the inner fender?

Special Ed

raised letters moulded in fiberglass

Bob Gaines

If they are sanded off the engineering numbers are very difficult to put them back in . It can be done.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby