News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby Battle Over Eleanor Name GT500

Started by Don Johnston, November 09, 2023, 02:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnston

Sfm6sxxx

What does that mean to the folks that created "tributes" and paid her a licensing fee to be licensed fake?

6S1114

FL SAAC

That's great news.......I guess, if you own one of those atrocities

Thanks for the update,  much appreciated
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

tesgt350

What always baffled me was they kept referencing the 1974 Film and the 82 & 83 Films.  That was a 1971 Mach 1 with a 1973 Mack 1 Grill modified to fit and it was that ugly Butterscotch Yellow color. 

Side-Oilers

^^^ I'd guess it's because, to the courts, every old Mustang looks the same.  Especially the crashed ones.

Not exactly juris prudence. 

Is anyone here available to be an expert witness on Shelby products, for the next time Mrs Halicki (or her doesn't-look-like-her, different-year-model-and-color-of-a-person) proclaims their trademark dominion?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

well I guess after this decision we can all sleep well tonight ...

I have all UNGOLD cars

Don Johnston

The result could be the already rediculous auction price for these modified movie car Mustangs will probably go more insane levels.  And more shops will sign on with Shelby Licensing to make more of these toys. 8)

FL SAAC

Quote from: Don Johnston on November 09, 2023, 07:13:39 PM
The result could be the already rediculous auction price for these modified movie car Mustangs will probably go more insane levels.  And more shops will sign on with Shelby Licensing to make more of these toys. 8)

Donnie ya think ?

I look at it this way,  it's like buying a bag of chips today. More air in the bag than chips.

It's a trend today to buy the facsimile, but in the end " the real ones " will prevail just like an original Picasso or Van Gogh.

P. S.  I know your a statistic and numbers guy,  so here goes :

Eleanor's = facsimile, fakearoo, just a mustang with some parts, more than 95% air

S H E L B Ys = the real ones, came that was from S. A. no air in that bag

Just How Much Air Is In That Bag Of Chips?

Popchips – 45% air.
Cape Cod – 46% air.
Kettle Brand – 47% air.
Doritos – 48% air.
TERRA – 49% air.
Stacy's Pita Chips – 50% air.
Ruffles – 50% air.
Cheetos – 59% air.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Don Johnston

Shelby Licensing began as the protector of CA's name, image and associated products (early Shelby American, Inc. vehicles).  Now it is the revenue source for the CHS Trust.  Since Ford is not making the GT350 or GT500, there is a loss of revenue per vehicle produced (thousands each year).  Creative marketing efforts allow the licensing team to issue a negotiated approval of the name on all sorts of products and businesses.  So now it isn't personal, it's just business. (Apologies to the "Godfather"). 8)

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Don Johnston on November 09, 2023, 08:16:07 PMSince Ford is not making the GT350 or GT500, there is a loss of revenue per vehicle produced (thousands each year).
SA was not making any money off the GT350/500 trademarks. Those are owned by Ford. When the GT500 was reintroduced CS wanted $1,000+ per car to use his name. Ford countered with a 12 million personal services contract. They worked him like a dog for all that money with travel and personal appearances. After his death they paid a small per car fee to use the Shelby name/likeness with the cars (like they paid the McQueen family for Bullitt). Where SA is making Ford money today is in chassis development and testing. Ford has an inhouse rule not to test beyond what engineers feel is 80%. That work is contracted out to other companies who test beyond that and report vehicle dynamics and make recommendations. I assume it's so they can go into court with independent testing if sued for Corvair type handling.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless