News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Road Trips with Shelbys and Cobras

Started by Tom Honegger, February 08, 2021, 05:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Honegger

I've always enjoyed reading and seeing photos of the classic Cobras and Shelbys on road trips. The two gentlemen from Australia that chronicled their travels in the Shelby American, driving a '67 GT 350 was great reading. Most recently the articles about the Hertz car and the wild road rallies were of great interest to me. Of course the annual GT 350 road trip and the group of original Cobras and their adventures is good stuff. I thought maybe SAAC owners would enjoy reading about some "grassroots" road trips from members. Do you have pictures and stories of any experiences with your car that you can share? There's still some long winter days till some of us can get our cars out!

Tom Honegger

My cousin and I did several "Fall Tours". I drove my '67 GT 350 and he drove his Camaro and later his Corvette Z06. We took our wives and usually made a long weekend out of it, staying in some of Ohio's State Park Lodges. One trip that was fun was exploring Ashtabula County in northeast Ohio. They have something like 23 covered bridges in that county and publish a nice brochure with maps and info. We spent two days driving country roads, enjoying the fall colors and checking out the various bridges. Always was good to "stretch the legs" on our Shelby!

Tom Honegger

propayne

Great pics Tom - thanks for posting!

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

jamesfee

I ran my 66 from Jersey, down the Blue Ridge Parkway, to the Tail of the Dragon this past June. The entire trip was a 10 day event covering 1800 miles and 7 states. and While I suspect there will always be a concern of an accident or theft, I cannot let that keep us off the road. I've had this car over 50 years and the joy of driving (along with the serious exercise <g>) makes it worthwhile for me. My wife won't drive Blue, but we compromise by finding nice places along the route for R&R.  It's always a challenge, but then again, that's one of the reasons we do things like this. Add to that my own insanity - I'm running a 347 Stroker with Webers - and it makes the challenge that much more interesting...

Jim
6S1801

sg66

Quote from: jamesfee on February 11, 2021, 02:11:49 PM
I ran my 66 from Jersey, down the Blue Ridge Parkway, to the Tail of the Dragon this past June.
What are you running for wheels and tires and are your A arms lowered?

jamesfee

15x7 - 215/60R15 BFG Radial TA's upfront; 15x8 -235/60R15 BFG Radial TA's in rear - all American Racing Torq-Thrust D's
Yes it has the 1" lowered A Arms - the suspension parts are OpenTracker roller bearing units

Jim
6S1801

owenkelley

My wife and I bought our '67 GT500 in October of 1982. In July of 1983 we drove it from Montana to Southern California, over to New Mexico and back home. it was 110 degrees in Las Vegas when we drove through, no A.C. and black vinyl interior made for a warm trip. It was though, but I wouldn't want to do it today. That's where the '07 GT500 comes in handy.