SAAC Forum

The Cars => 1968 Shelby GT350/500/500KR => Topic started by: 67#0083 on October 01, 2026, 05:35:18 PM

Title: Front Fascia Removal/Painting
Post by: 67#0083 on October 01, 2026, 05:35:18 PM
Hi Guys, I'm having my '68 taken back to Acapulco Blue. I'm not a painter but I'm going to disassemble the car and then put it back together.

I have the whole nose unbolted but there are three carriage bolts connecting the top and bottom halves to the car in the grill opening. They all just spin when you turn the nuts and, short of welding something to the top of them to hold them in place, I see no other way to get them off. Any better ideas? Also:

1. Are those three carriage bolts supposed to be body color?

2. If so, would it make more sense to just paint the front end with the nose on the car? I think I can get some spacers in between the headlight buckets and front fenders to create a gap for when it's sprayed.

3. Any other good advice specifically around painting a '68?

Thanks!
Ryan
Title: Re: Front Fascia Removal/Painting
Post by: roddster on October 02, 2026, 12:30:32 PM
  Can't remember where, but I had a similar issue with spinning carriage bolts.
    I used appropriately size wire cutters to pinch the size of the head and hold the head from spinning.
  Yeah, might leave a minor mark but it is at least not welding anything to the top.
Title: Re: Front Fascia Removal/Painting
Post by: Corey Bowcutt on October 02, 2026, 04:30:21 PM
Yes, they should be body color.

Corey
Title: Re: Front Fascia Removal/Painting
Post by: KR500 on October 03, 2026, 12:37:16 PM
Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on October 02, 2026, 04:30:21 PMYes, they should be body color.

Corey
No they were not painted at first.They were not in place when the panel got painted,therefore they could not have been spray painted.There may be some evidence that A.O.Smith or selling dealers may have brush painted them after assembly on SOME cars, possibly to cover up rusting bolt heads before they shipped/sold them.There are photos of these cars coming down A.O.Smith's line were you can see the shiny plated and unpainted bolt heads. The only way I will accept a painted bolt head in this area is if it is brush painted after assembly.