News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Holley 3259 question

Started by Mikelj5S230, April 25, 2024, 05:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikelj5S230

I have adjusted many Holley carbs over the years, but the one on this '65 GT350 is unlike any I have seen before. One question, what does the big brass screw in the front that goes in between the fuel lines do?  There is one exactly like it in the rear too. Thanks.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Bob Gaines

It is not to adjust the float level. ;) You have to adjust the floats by taking off the float bowl and adjusting. It is primitive compared to later versions. At least I thought that was what you were thinking. Sorry if I was wrong. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mikelj5S230

Yes, you figured out what I was thinking since the car is stalling out and flooding when you come to a quick stop. OK, thanks!

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kram350

Mikelj5S230

Yes, and I suspect the secondaries float level are the problem. Thanks Bob, I will try to find out who restored this newly restored carb. Excellent Concours cosmetic work but lacking in functional/operational quality. I would not want to send it back to whoever that was.

Rickmustang

Second Drew. It will run like supposed to after he rebuilds.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

Actually I was thinking first Drew could talk you through adjusting it yourself. He knows all of the little tricks. At least something you can try before you send it off to him.

Mikelj5S230

Ah, OK, good idea. Since this car was restored by one of the top '65 GT350 restorers, I was thinking maybe Drew did it. Anyway, one of my pet peeves after many decades of having cars restored is getting them back cosmetically perfect but mechanically neglected.  I am used to it, but never enjoy the sorting out.

kram350

Check your fuel pressure, 6 psi, if more could be overloading the float. Float levels are pretty easy to adjust, just a pain. Daytona Carb made a better needle and seat which really helps with fuel control.

Drew Pojedinec

Not a fan of the Daytona Needle and Seat at all. I typically toss them in the trash.

To OP,
I did not restore that. Looks like Mr Bunetic's work.
Here is a video where I describe how the bowls function:
https://www.facebook.com/AirFuelSParkTech/videos/520926569900660/

I sell all the parts I use individually or in kits of varying levels.  My afscarbs page also has a 6 hour video course showing me do a full tear down, blue printing, assembly, and testing of a lemans bowl carb.

Drew

Mikelj5S230

Thank you Drew, very helpful.

kram350

Drew, what don't you like about the DC needle and seat? I have had better luck with it on the race car motor. The fuel flow on the gauge is much more steady between full throttle and throttle cut.   

s2ms

Hi Drew,

Curious about your reasoning on the Daytona N/S as well. Have a couple that came with a rebuilt kit and was thinking of giving them a try but would first like to hear some personal experiences.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757