News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'69-'70 shelby GT500 starter

Started by shelby1848, April 24, 2024, 04:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby1848

Looking for a C8AF-11001-A starter for my '70 GT500 428 CJ.  Car was built June 12, 1969. Sold at Galpin Ford in LA. Need a date of April/May of 1969 but willing to take a date before those mentioned. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Bob Gaines

Just so that you have realistic expectations. Those are extremely hard to find given the applications it was used on . Finding one will be hard enough but the odds of finding one with just the right date code is getting into lottery comparable odds  ;) . With all that said if you find one you may consider getting it regardless of date code if not right and use it as a place holder until and or if another better more appropriate one comes along. The last one I saw for sale was in the 700.00 neighborhood a few years back. I didn't keep track so I don't know if it sold for that or not. If you can find one in the 500.00 range restored I think that would be a good deal. Best of luck on your search.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

FYI I just saw a bogus Ebay auction for a C8AF-11001-A 428CJ Starter. A genuine starter will have the engineering number metal stamped in the center barrel along with the metal stamped AUTOLITE trademark. This rebuilder puts a ink stamp (which was phased out in later 67 production). Stay away from these guys
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/284302210702
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 24, 2024, 09:10:36 PMFYI I just saw a bogus Ebay auction for a C8AF-11001-A 428CJ Starter. A genuine starter will have the engineering number metal stamped in the center barrel along with the metal stamped AUTOLITE trademark. This rebuilder puts a ink stamp (which was phased out in later 67 production). Stay away from these guys
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/284302210702

Agree with the starter not being marked as it should. At least with small block starters the ink stamping continued into 69 production with a period of overlap when both marking styles could be found on starts being installed at the car plants
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelby1848

Bob and Jeff:

Thanks for the reply. After a lengthy dialogue with the ebay starter, I was told the starter wasn't for sale and people who were interested would contact them requesting a date code. They would then search for one. Figured the same as you did Bob, so I walked away. Will continue my search as that is certainly an elusive item.