News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Crank damper

Started by Skidado, June 22, 2020, 12:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skidado

Quote from: 67350#1242 on June 23, 2020, 01:17:54 PM
Here is a link to previous discussions:
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6759.msg57222#msg57222

Have you looked at the front casting number and is it the modified C5OE to C7ZE ?
Does your car have A/C?

If you are asking about my car #2751 - no, it doesn't have AC, but it does have (did have) thermactor air injection (202 build code)..

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67350#1242 link=topic=11040.msg93426#msg93426 date=1592932674

Have you looked at the front casting number and is it the modified C5OE to C7ZE ?
Does your car have A/C?
/quote]I too would like to now if the balancer is a C8 or if edited from C5 to C7.  I think that the engine assembly date "The engine assembly date was 7E9W (May 67?)"  has the most relevance in this case of GT350 with thermactor.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Skidado

I can't see the casting number as the damper is on an assembled engine in the car. The crank pulley covers the casting number I believe.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Skidado on June 24, 2020, 11:09:14 AM
I can't see the casting number as the damper is on an assembled engine in the car. The crank pulley covers the casting number I believe.
When you take the pulley off like it sounds like you will have to do so as to have the dampner rebuilt given it has spun on the hub ,would you please try to remember and report back.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Skidado

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 24, 2020, 02:31:47 PM
When you take the pulley off like it sounds like you will have to do so as to have the dampner rebuilt given it has spun on the hub ,would you please try to remember and report back.

Will do Bob - now I just need to find someone in the UK who can rebuild crank dampers...

David

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Skidado on June 24, 2020, 04:00:31 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 24, 2020, 02:31:47 PM

Will do Bob - now I just need to find someone in the UK who can rebuild crank dampers...

David
::)  . Disregarding the date code and engineering number which will be covered ,the C8 balance will look the same. You may find that C8 one over there cheaper then restoring the genuine. Put the genuine on the shelf . Just a thought since you are across the pond. Best of luck with the project.

Skidado

Ok - so, only three years later...

Pulled the crank damper off and I have (hopefully...) attached photos of it.  I am as certain as I can be that this is an original part to this engine (I have owned the car 40 years now...).  Part number appears to be C7ZE.

I did some checks and it appears that the damper ring has not slipped.

David

Bob Gaines

I bet it was a relief to find out that the hub had not slipped. Thanks for the report .Better late then never.