News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Former post counts

Started by BGlover67, April 13, 2018, 03:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

I hope this isn't going to upset too many folks on here that I truly respect for their knowledge and seemingly never ending desire to help others, but I can't help but notice the recent trend of members listing their previous forum post totals. I understand that after 'the crash' it can be hard for someone who is brand new to this forum to easily recognize who the big dogs are by their post counts alone.  Veterans and newbies alike were abruptly crashed to the same pecking order overnight, or at least it seems that way to the uninformed.  But if anyone spends more than a passing moment on here and actually reads the content, it quickly becomes apparent who knows what their are talking about and who is just along for the ride. 

I even see members using      one      word       per      post     strategies to get their totals up.  Really?  I didn't realize it was that big a contest.  I think you should consider listing the year you first became active in the hobby below your avatar.  That would be a quick and easy way for all to see who's really a 'veteran' from who isn't.  Or list how many past year's worth of Branda or Virginia Classic Mustang catalogs you have on your shelf. Or even how many NOS parts you own that you actually bought from the Ford parts department yourself.  Now that impresses me. 

This is really a special little place on the net.  There aren't too many sites that can even come close.  A big thanks to all that keep it that way.  You know who you are.
I'll get off the soapbox now.   ::)

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

8)

Are you suggesting some of the other things that you mentioned be listed in the signature or under your Avatar?

Personally, I like the forum member's generalized location under the avatar so I know if I am reading/conversing with someone close or far away.

Could also put up SAAC member since 1975 under the avatar.

I agree, it doesn't take long to understand who knows their stuff here.

69mach351w

Quote from: BGlover67 on April 13, 2018, 03:27:25 AM
I hope this isn't going to upset too many folks on here that I truly respect for their knowledge and seemingly never ending desire to help others, but I can't help but notice the recent trend of members listing their previous forum post totals. I understand that after 'the crash' it can be hard for someone who is brand new to this forum to easily recognize who the big dogs are by their post counts alone.  Veterans and newbies alike were abruptly crashed to the same pecking order overnight, or at least it seems that way to the uninformed.  But if anyone spends more than a passing moment on here and actually reads the content, it quickly becomes apparent who knows what their are talking about and who is just along for the ride. 

I even see members using      one      word       per      post     strategies to get their totals up.  Really?  I didn't realize it was that big a contest.  I think you should consider listing the year you first became active in the hobby below your avatar.  That would be a quick and easy way for all to see who's really a 'veteran' from who isn't.  Or list how many past year's worth of Branda or Virginia Classic Mustang catalogs you have on your shelf. Or even how many NOS parts you own that you actually bought from the Ford parts department yourself.  Now that impresses me. 

This is really a special little place on the net.  There aren't too many sites that can even come close.  A big thanks to all that keep it that way.  You know who you are.
I agree with you. Who Cares Who has 15,000,000,000.......post.

Like Glover said, we KNOW who you are and if someone new comes to the SAAC, they will soon realize who the knowledgeable are.  And REALLY??  posting your past post #'s??  Come on guys this ain't High School ::)

Grumpy

Quote from: 69mach351w on April 13, 2018, 07:11:41 AM
Quote from: BGlover67 on April 13, 2018, 03:27:25 AM

I agree with you. Who Cares Who has 15,000,000,000.......post.

Like Glover said, we KNOW who you are and if someone new comes to the SAAC, they will soon realize who the knowledgeable are.  And REALLY??  posting your past post #'s??  Come on guys this ain't High School ::)

X2  8) Post count goes up one more !! :P

69mach351w

I'd just like to see our SAAC member badge as soon as admin is able to get them up. This shows our support to the SAAC.  Matter of fact, I'm going to make another donation right now.

rhjanes

I agree!  It IS the internet.....it is all just aggravated electrons. 
On a forum I used to moderate, there was a big pissing match about posts count.....the Admin went in one day and changed the people jacking up their post and set them to 1.  The next day he changed them to 14,542,198,476......They all got pissed or understood and it stopped. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Chris Thauberger

I think this says it all...

Being the "All time post count king" on a forum is kinda like being rich in Monopoly

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500

69mach351w

Chris, this is present, the discussion here is the past forum post count before it crashed ::)

Coralsnake

I don't want to say "I told you so, but I did"

I warned against one person or region, monopolizing the forum or inundating the larger group with posts about every car show in their region.

I even got an email from the administrator because to make that point on the old forum, I post enough times to knock all those threads off the "new message" board.

The bottom line is if the administration wanted to stop the practice they could. So you have two choices....

Tell those people to stop it or leave....I didn't see a lot "+1s" after I suggest the FLSAAC region use a direct email to tell their members about car shows.

So, welcome to the FLSAAC forum...you are all members now!

Proudly over 10,000 posts and here since the day the doors opened
SAAC member since 1987
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Well said...both Brian and Pete. I could care less about post count. I do care about people making useful contributions to the Forum, trying to get back the references and knowledge base close to what we had before, and to have fun. After all, the hobby, any hobby, is about having fun. This used to be the Shelby Wikipedia Forum, so let's get it back. Can we back it up on an external hard drive this time? Amazon has some on sale.

Pete, I also joined SAAC in 1987 when I was 17. I let it lapse when I was in college and I then rejoined when I bought my '67. Does that still count?

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 69mach351w on April 13, 2018, 09:39:41 AM
Chris, this is present, the discussion here is the past forum post count before it crashed ::)

How obtuse...
Being the "All time post count king" on a forum is kinda like being rich in Monopoly

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500