News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 sealant question

Started by Corey Bowcutt, November 23, 2020, 01:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I am in the process of stripping the undercoating off the bottom of my car and in doing so am removing the factory/PO installed sealant as well.  I want to make sure I only replace the sealant that is supposed to be there.  I have already looked at Pete's amazing section on sealant at Thecoralsnake.com.  It as well as the painting section is really helping me a lot.  However I have a question,  I had sealant along the pinch weld that seemed factory but can not be certain.  There is no mention of this area in Pete's description which would lead me to believe it should not be there. Should there be sealant along the pinch weld between the pinch weld and the floor?

Thank you,

Corey

Coralsnake

There is sealant there. To seal the floor to the rockers.

I believe its brushed after primer, but lets see what others can add...
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Pete, that is what I figured.  So from Petes sealant guide it seems there should be sealant around the 4 seat belt doublers, around the rear torque torque box, around the 4 floor plugs and between the pinch welds and the floor.  Are there any other areas that got factory sealant?

Corey

Royce Peterson

Lots and lots of them. Around the rear wheel houses at the bottom. Many places where sections of the cowl are welded together. Too many to describe using a keyboard!

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on November 23, 2020, 02:28:36 PM
Thank you Pete, that is what I figured.  So from Petes sealant guide it seems there should be sealant around the 4 seat belt doublers, around the rear torque torque box, around the 4 floor plugs and between the pinch welds and the floor.  Are there any other areas that got factory sealant?

Corey
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on November 23, 2020, 02:28:36 PM

Corey
They are not all the same sealant. The floor plugs sealant were similar to strip caulk that NPD or Virginia sells for example. FYI make sure they are installed properly and not upside down because it is a common mistake .Confirm and don't take for granted which way is right side up.You can't change them without taking out the interior so do it right the first time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Bob.  The attached picture shows what mine look like installed.  I have not removed them yet to clean them up.  Does this look like they are installed correctly?

Corey

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on November 24, 2020, 12:56:00 PM
Thank you Bob.  The attached picture shows what mine look like installed.  I have not removed them yet to clean them up.  Does this look like they are installed correctly?

Corey
Yes . They were galvanized originally and installed after painting process. Hammertone silver in a spray can is the easiest faux finish .The are more convincing but more labor intensive ones too.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 23, 2020, 02:23:54 PM
There is sealant there. To seal the floor to the rockers.

I believe its brushed after primer, but lets see what others can add...

Applied with a caulking gun/applicator then wiped with a rage dipped in solvent or kerosene can't recall which one the assembly manual calls for but then each plant might have used a different solvent. I find a 1 inch chip brush with all but the last 1/4" of the bristles cut off helpful in reproducing the effect
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rodster-500

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 24, 2020, 01:04:34 PM
Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on November 24, 2020, 12:56:00 PM

Corey
Yes . They were galvanized originally and installed after painting process. Hammertone silver in a spray can is the easiest faux finish .The are more convincing but more labor intensive ones too.

I forget....what was the purpose of these?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Rodster-500 on November 24, 2020, 09:18:22 PM
I forget....what was the purpose of these?

It appears that Ford engineers sort of automatically included the ribs and drains in all floor plans created during this era. For more expensive cars that were dipped in primer sealer it allowed paint inside the car that would flow downward and collect on these lower panels, to flow out of the car (ribs  strengthened the panels and channeled paint to the drains) back into the vat

Sine Mustangs, Falcons and other models were not dipped they were not used or needed but still included in the design since the ribbing of the floor was a positive factor.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge