News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fitting my KR air cleaner/snorkel

Started by Donnellk, December 08, 2020, 12:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellk

Asking for some advice...

I have a '68 KR which I've owned for many years. It did not have an air cleaner when I bought it. In the mid-80's I found all the pieces to reconstruct it.

Recently retired now, I've been driving the car more regularly and am finding the air cleaner and S-tube seem to move around a lot. I never can get it to lock in place, and inevitably the snorkel drifts very close to the starter relay. (I've seen sparks a few times!)

So I am wondering what I'm doing wrong ... or if the parts I bought 35 years ago weren't correct KR parts?

Any help/advice welcomed.

69mach351w

Post photos on this thread. Seems you might have reconstructed wrong. Several members here are knowledgeable with the KR Shelby's.

They'll be along shortly.

Besides we like photos of early Shelby's, especially the ones that have been tucked away  ;D

Is your KR in the SAAC registry?

Donnellk

Thanks for the reply, here are a few engine bay photos from just now.
I believe it's in the registry, serial 03968. I bought it in May '78 when I was just 18, believe it or not.
Thanks again for the help.

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

TLea

First of all these never fit great to begin with but there is a proper procedure. There really is no such thing as a KRS tube. It's merely the CJ S tube with notches cutting it so it can be rotated to the correct orientation. The slots allow the S tube to be rotated closer to the shock tower. When installed correctly the starter delay will actually fit in the end of the snorkel. The part actually was serviced by Ford later with a notches pre-stamped in it

Special Ed

KRs had a unique s-tube that had 3 screw holes and 3 notches by heat shield screw to adjust differently because of unique long snorkle and wide tall shelby valve covers.

Coralsnake

I sent photos of original parts. Thanks
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TLea

Quote from: Special Ed on December 08, 2020, 07:50:28 PM
KRs had a unique s-tube that had 3 screw holes and 3 notches by heat shield screw to adjust differently because of unique long snorkle and wide tall shelby valve covers.
It was only unique because it was modified at AO Smith but started life as regular CJ S tube which is what he has

Coralsnake

Posted for Tlea

Coralsnake

shelbymann1970

Many many years ago someone posted on a thread(I think CJ forum?) pics showing the differences between a repo and factory S-tube for a CJ car. Is this one for sale a "weathered" repo or original? Thanks. Gary
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1-2-1969-1970-Mustang-GT-Shelby-Cougar-ORIG-428-CJ-SCJ-AIR-CLEANER-S-TUBE/154238086077?hash=item23e94e6bbd:g:OcQAAOSwBUlfWBYk
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Donnellk

This is all very helpful, I really appreciate it, thank you.
FYI, here's a photo of my car taken the other day.

gt350bp

The discussion on KR air cleaner and snorkel made me want to check and restore my parts, as I have been running just the base and top since I bought the car in 1981. (Car is equipped with Hooker Headers, so no heat shield and s-tube are used.) With the snorkel attached to the air cleaner base, the starter delay is about even with the end of the snorkel. Does not fit up inside.

Attached are a few photos of the snorkel and s-tube with dimensions. No three holes or three slots in the s-tube. My car is #04412 with build date of 7/23/68. I'm pretty sure that no reproduction parts were available for the KR snorkel and s-tube back before 1981, so I think they are correct? Still need to blackout paint the base and not sure if the lid gets any blackout? Was figuring to make a ring from light gauge sheet metal or construction paper to act a shield when painting the blackout on the base and lid if it is required. Any advise on proper technique. That would seem like the most logical method the factory would have utilized. 

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

Snorkel and air cleaner mock-up installation photos.

Does anyone run the snorkel with headers? Was thinking about a bracket to secure the snorkel from the two front header bolts? Any ideas or suggestions?

Don
gt350bp

TLea

Yep. Delay fits inside snorkel end normal. I think you'd find if you had riser your S tube wouldn't line up. AO Smith had letter to Ford stating they wouldn't fit w/o mods.