News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

428 Cobra Jet heat shield pan under intake

Started by Bob Gaines, May 09, 2024, 08:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

I am trying to get a take on how important the metal pan is under the CJ cast iron intake.I have a chance to buy a cast iron CJ intake at a reasonable price unfortunately it is missing the sheet metal heat shield pan. I understand the pan is Cobra jet intake unique so I can't substitute one from a 390.What say you?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pbf777

As you obviously realize, without the shield, well, it's just not going to be "correct"; but of coarse once installed who would know?  ::) 
    The actual purpose of this shield is to reduce the sum of splashed oil that might come in contact with the exhaust heat cross-over passage section of the casting located on the bottom; this intended to reduce the sum of that oil which might be "damaged" by the excessive heat exposure and even worse will tend to "coke", even becoming a solid contaminant suspended in the oil.  ;) 

So, if ones' vehicle is just driven off trailer to the display parking spot, or just never allowed to get hot (for fear of burning the engine or manifold paint  :-[ ), or even just never run hard producing elevated exhaust temperatures, or best, the intake manifolds' cross-over passage is blocked (reduces the burnt paint on the top of the intake issue, or is done to reduce the tendency for fueling vapor-lock  8)) it probably really isn't a necessary component (that is as long as you don't tell anyone its' missing!  ::) ).

Scott.

Bob Gaines

I suppose I will just fabricate a makeshift shield or block off the cross over. Thanks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby