News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

COBRA AUTOMOTIVE

Started by myboss, April 30, 2024, 04:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myboss

So I was in need of 10 x 2 1/2" drums for my car. Got a set from Cobra Automotive with the locating rings, my shop paint them and installs. Stopped to check on the progress and one of the drums is stamped made in China... WTH. Called Cobra Automotive and spoke to Jeff Johnson and he tells me they would exchange it if it had not been painted.  So I offer to glass bead it and sent it back and Jeff tells me no go as it would not be the original finish.
  Anybody else had problems with Cobra Automitive???

Dan

98SVT - was 06GT

That doesn't sound like a Cobra Automotive problem. Their site says Raybestos Brand not US Made? You did not inspect your parts on arrival. Companies generally will accept returns in original condition with original packaging. ChiCom brake parts have been the norm for 10+ years. It's rare to find replacement steel or cast iron parts made in the USA.

The "domestic" brands you may be familiar with (Raybestos,Wagner, Bendix, Centric, Motorcraft, Delco) are all manufactured in China/Taiwan. Aug 9, 2014
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

myboss

There site does not say who the manufacture is, I did call and talk to Jeff and he did not know but they are machined in the US and told him I dis not want any offshore junk.
  When I called to tell him about the China drum he was quite suprissed and questioned me on the packaging and the number on the box. Yes he was not happy that it was painted and said they would just throw it away anyway. The one  drum marked 8946 was normal grey iron the China drum marked 39450 was a blue green metalic looking drum. No I did not inspect them as they were shipped to the shop and they had painted them already.
   Ten minutes in a glass beader and it looks like cast iron again, right. And they said they were just going to throw it away anyway.
  It's just not right

Dan

Bob Gaines

As has been mentioned the vast majority if not all of the brake drums you can buy new use imported cast steel. With that said unless you are prepared to search for then if you find some pay for originals that if your lucky are only half gone for 500-700.00 then use the china cast iron ones and try not to think about it. FYI you can have used genuine but hard to find assemblyline original drums sleeved but they get 250.00 ea plus shipping to do it . Also they suggest doing them in pairs. If the ones Cobra Automotive sold you don't have the fins made into them that is a good thing.  I hate using the China steel too but it is a forgone conclusion in the aftermarket today so it is not worth stressing about because you can't do anything about it. Unfortunately there are plenty of things today to stress about as it is. Just some thoughts to try and help.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

myboss

All good points Bob, sold the 66 Shelby backing plates and .010 drums that I had put on my BOSS 302 in the late 70's to a forum member here so they would go on the car the belong on, just trying to put a set of bigger brakes back on my can.
  And you are correct that not much is US made anymore which is unfortunate. These drums are like a new pair of shoes for your feet..... Usually buy a matched pair. My back is against the wall here as can't seem to scare up a used set.

Dan