News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Value of a rebodied Shelby

Started by 68cobra427, August 25, 2022, 11:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68cobra427

Story goes at some point a NY Shelby 68 GT350 convertible was to rusty to save. Shell from Arizona was used and the vin tag , Shelby tag was installed after all 4 inner aprons was replaced without stamping. Shelby title is with this car. All orig fiberglass and only the center console is aftermarket. Orig motor and 4sp trans did not follow the car. The car is painted and rolling assembled body. Boxes of new aftermarket seals ect.. Still needs top installed.  Give me your best guess of value on this rolling body.

If parted I would think $10K but some might consider this to low. Some may still want to assemble . Your thoughts!

I have not seen this car in person.

Roll bar ,gauges,etc. still with car?

427hunter

It's no longer a 68 Shelby and vin switches are illegal. It has little value - part it out.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427hunter on August 25, 2022, 11:55:23 AMIt's no longer a 68 Shelby and vin switches are illegal. It has little value - part it out.
It's legal in some states to remove/reattach the VIN during repair/restoration. Sounds to me like the rear 1/2 of the car was repaired with used parts and the front with new inner panels to which the original VIN tag was reattached. Good thing this was done in AZ a couple weeks ago.
Since you have all the expensive parts and only need normal Mustang stuff build it as a daily driver. Be honest in the future that it's a rebody someone will still pay 2-3 times what a 68 Mustang is worth.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/08/removing-and-reattaching-vin-on-a-classic-car-no-longer-against-the-law-in-arizona/

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

pbf777

Quote from: 427hunter on August 25, 2022, 11:55:23 AM
............vin switches are illegal.

As a "Re-Body" vehicle, technically, legality wise, it is an illicit example of a vehicle by law; worth at most as that of a Shelby clone and or the sum of it's parts; at worst it gets confiscated by the Government and crushed with at best without compensation, and at worst addition legal fees, fines and though unlikely even the potential for period of incarceration!   :o

Scott.

Bill

Quote from: 68cobra427 on August 25, 2022, 11:12:52 AM
Shelby tag was installed after all 4 inner aprons was replaced without stamping

I'm betting the "donor vehicle" was potentially not procured entirely through legal means if all 4 inner fender panels were then replaced on what should have been a rust free Arizona car. The only legit item on the car is what was transferred over, not including the Shelby VIN tag. I'd say the car is worth more for the original Shelby parts themselves, I'd pull those and scrap the rest, hang the Shelby tag on a wall, or in a frame, strictly for posterity/nostalgia only.

I'd immediately contact the 68 SAAC registrar and give them the pertinent information so no one else, less than knowledgeable, gets stuck with it.

Bill 
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Applying the VIN from one vehicle to another is illegal.  Changing a VIN to misrepresent the "true identity" of a vehicle is illegal.  Removing a VIN plate for repair or restoration, and re-installing it on the vehicle it was removed from, is legal in some states.  Modifying a vehicle (i.e. replacing the body) can be done legally in some states.  It can require special inspection, application of a state issued VIN, and issuance of a new title with the new VIN.  It doesn't sound like that was done wth the car in question.   

shelbymann1970

Why can't a person at worst get a state issued ID plate for the car? Also it seems to me a rust free 68 Convertible shell is worth more for donor parts that a trip to the scrap yard....Build the car up as a resto mod. Use modern parts. Put in a Coyote engine. Sell the Shelby parts if you don't want a "clone" and use that money to help offset the build cost. While we talk about rebodied cars being illegal and such how many rebodied Shelbys-especially 65-66s- are running around these days?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

pbf777

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on August 25, 2022, 03:45:47 PM
While we talk about rebodied cars being illegal and such how many rebodied Shelbys-especially 65-66s- are running around these days?

Just because "everyone else" is speeding, doesn't nullify your 10 M.P.H. over the posted limit citation!   ::)

And a couple of MECUM (Orlando) auctions ago didn't a "re-bodied" '65-'66 Shelby get pulled from the auction?  I believe the reason stated was "paper-work" issues"?    :-\

Scott.

67 GT350

Probably best not to even ask questions like that. We all know it is worth less. What someone does in private is what it is. I personally do not see anything really wrong is you have destroyed the MUSTANG numbers...Got in your possession all the original numbers for the Shelby....added them to the car with NO numbers. Enjoy the car. You DIE, the car is sold, because the wife never liked the car anyway, the next idiot goes around bragging how he got a car so cheap from the wife who did not care.
I came across a 65 Shelby and I do not know the number, that was a re-body. I asked the seller who disclosed it to me in his opening description, "do you know where the Shelby body is?" he said no.....He also produced a SAAC letter that basically OKed that car as a real 65 Shelby, I said, "OK thank you, goodnight"

This is my opinion, which means NOTHING, and is most likely WRONG! So do not pay attention.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on August 25, 2022, 03:45:47 PMWhy can't a person at worst get a state issued ID plate for the car?
He'll need to provide proof of where the now un-numbered shell came from.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

As Alex and Scott said: IT IS ILLEGAL. Swapping a VIN and re-attaching onto another vehicle is a violation of federal law. Word to the wise: Part it out. The Shelby and Ford VINs are now dead and destroyed. That IS the proper, moral and legal thing to do.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

68cobra427

To bad it is 1 of 14 produced in color/trans combo.

I feel the best option is to part it out. Hope the old man feels the same. 

pbf777

Don't worry, it'll reappear in the future, perhaps it'll need to pass through a few owners, but then without any comment of being a 're-body'...........count on it!   :o

Scott.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert