News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Lounge / Re: what is this?
Last post by mark p - May 16, 2024, 11:11:49 PM
 :o  ::)  ;D
Wanted to Buy / 65 Crager wheels
Last post by paul - May 16, 2024, 11:06:29 PM
Looking for four repo 1965 GT 350 Crager wheels. Thank you, Paul.
Appeals / Re: 94 Bondurant Mustang GT sc...
Last post by TA Coupe - May 16, 2024, 10:56:08 PM
Hey Don, did you end up buying one?

Roy
Shelby American History / Re: Shelby Buildings -LAX- New...
Last post by J_Speegle - May 16, 2024, 10:50:31 PM
Quote from: tesgt350 on May 16, 2024, 04:22:54 PMAre those 3 Coupes in the color photo future Shelby SCCA/Trans Am Production Race Cars?

Yes those were most likely 66 Group I or II coupes.
1968 Shelby GT350/500/500KR / FE rear main side seals - best...
Last post by 6s1640 - May 16, 2024, 09:23:02 PM
Hi all,

I am in the process of installing the rear main cap with the crank and side seals.  I have watch several YouTube's and read instructions "how to".  Below is a summary of the suggested methods.  If you have experience installing this side seals, please comment.  Thank you

1)  From "How to Rebuild Big-Block Ford Engines" by Steve Christ, he recommends "Installing the main bearing cap and bolts, but leave the cap about 1/8 inch off its register.  Oil the sides seals and slide down into place...  Be sure the seal bottoms against the block.  Push the cap down all the way down and snug the bolts down by hand."  I have not tried this, but it seams the compression of the side seal might make this difficult.  Thoughts?

2)  Steve goes on to say "Ford recommends torquing the main cap before installing the side seals.  But this might make it difficult to get the side seals to seat onto the block.  Thoughts?

3)  A Youtube video, the technician recommends super gluing the side seals in place with the seal extended beyond the cap to seat against the block and then install the main cap.  Sealant was applied to the side seals, no oil.  The impression I got was the seal would seat against the block and slide the upper end out of the cap slightly.  I had tried this and the seal did not slide up and in fact when after I removed, did not feel right, the seal was bunched up in the seal cavity.  The side nail went in very hard because of the bunching.  Thoughts?  I can see this method working, but just a small extension beyond the cap.

4)  Trying to install the cap with the side seals in place, held only by fingers and hands was going to difficult.  I could not keep them from being pushed out when pushing the cap down.  A YouTube video used this methods excepts with oil on the side seals and the seal well below the cap to get them started.  The video cuts away and comes back with the seals installed.  Is this the best method?  Thoughts.

5)  The instructions on the Fel-Pro packages follow the methods outlined in methods 4 with the seals flush to the top of the cap, with seals extended beyond bottom of cap.  This method and method 4 might work better with two sets of hands.  Thoughts.

Oiling the side seals (methods 1, 2, 4 and 5 seams to be a common method.  Helps keep the seals from pushing up.

Any suggests or comments on the above methods would be useful.  What has worked well for you before I try again.

Thank you

Cory

CSX 3000 Series / Re: Groovy Sharon Tate in a Co...
Last post by FL SAAC - May 16, 2024, 08:31:55 PM
Nice shot
GT40 - Original/Mk V / Re: Dash switches
Last post by kram350 - May 16, 2024, 08:31:25 PM
Thanks Jim, great detail.
CSX 3000 Series / Groovy Sharon Tate in a Cobra ...
Last post by 1175 - May 16, 2024, 07:41:15 PM
Found this on the web.  Not sure if it has been shared before.

Jon
Shelby American History / 1968 car # 590
Last post by Coralsnake - May 16, 2024, 07:06:39 PM
anyone know the current owner of this Gold, GT350 sold at Nagle Ford?
Parts For Sale / Re: 1969-70 NOS Parts on CL
Last post by Coralsnake - May 16, 2024, 06:32:19 PM
I think he's excluding a lot of money

I wouldnt play that game

Set a price