News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Cougars at AO Smith

Started by Coralsnake, January 20, 2024, 09:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Also from Jeff H

"In post #1, #6 and #9, the model is referred to as the XK7-G rather than the XR7-G. I am wondering why and have two guesses, the first is the paper got the name wrong and repeated in through the article. The second guess is more fun - in post #6, the caption says the modified Cougar is "termed the European Cougar." Was the model initially an XK7-G as a play on the Jaguar model numbers? Giving it a Euro flair?  And the Jaguar lawyers said no, no, no, XK is ours and you need to change that?
          Thanks for putting together a great thread. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. "
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Coralsnake

From Gregg

"Thank you so much for your regular input and sharing of knowledge of Shelby's

It's greatly appreciated

I am not much of a poster but really enjoy the reading and learning more all the time

These old ads you have are great"

Coralsnake

From Roy S

"With respect to reply #5:
INTERIOR VIEW, LOOKING UP at the power operated sunroof also shows the safety lights, mounted overhead in the center. The lights indicate when fuel is low, door ajar, emergency brake is on and remind occupants to fasten seat belts. Special amp? lights are also included.

I believe the last sentence should be:
Special map lights are also included."

Coralsnake

Phillip In response to Roy S's comment about the XR-7 overhead console in a sunroof Cougar.

The overhead console was a part of the XR-7 package (all Gs started out as XR-7s). If a Cougar got a sunroof then the overhead console had to be moved forward towards the windshield a few inches to get it out of the way.

This necessitated a little custom piece to be fabricated so that the end of the sun visors could be secured.

Coralsnake

Bob said

"A really great, and respectful thread. Reminds me of the old forum, before the nonsense started"

Coralsnake

Phillip sent this AOSmith blueprint for the XR7-G

It is for an upper console bracket

Coralsnake

I continue to get positive comments on the thread. I appreciate all of them.

"Thank you for the photos and research" ....my first car was a 1967 Cougar XR-7....while I now have a Shelby GT350, I still reminisce about that beautiful Cougar"

And....

"I agree that the forum is a much better place without any in-fighting. We are here for the cars"

Coralsnake

From Chris...

"AWESOME thread!  My first ever car was a '73 Cougar with a 4bbl Cleveland. I have always been a Cougar man."

Coralsnake

Royce adds...

"The first 12 XR7-G's were part of the Hertz order. All of the first 12 cars were X code 390-2V....Hertz did not specify colors except that they specified no metallic or metalflake colors be used - this because they know that rental cars would be wrecked and they would have to be fixed.

(Note that a single S code 1967 Cougar was used to gain Hertz approval of the XR7-G concept)

The final 188 cars in the Hertz order were S engine code. All of the Hertz cars, both X and S engines, have identical options on their Marti reports. And none were metallic colors."

Coralsnake

Tony T sent along this photo of the unique "g" bracket on upper console.

Coralsnake

Tony's car was an advanced show car. It was shown at the 1968 Hemisfair in San Antonio.

Coralsnake

Tony's car came from Main Lincoln Mercury in San Antonio

Coralsnake

If anyone would like a digital copy of the Ionia newspaper article, please email me directly

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com