News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Where was the original horn location on 68 A/C cars?

Started by shelbydoug, December 15, 2023, 03:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

SO FAR I haven't seen anyone now offering new seals that can be cut to length. They are all pre-cut to a specific length.

I can't remember having any experiences with Ford Service parts on this one but I would presume that was the same situation.

As far as service parts go, Ford is infamous for the service part varying in appearance to original assembly line parts. Again, I don't know if that is the situation here, just remarking about my observations of service parts v. assembly line parts over the years, particularly in that era.

Is there a standardization of how the staples are applied?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 20, 2023, 08:31:50 AM
SO FAR I haven't seen anyone now offering new seals that can be cut to length. They are all pre-cut to a specific length.

I can't remember having any experiences with Ford Service parts on this one but I would presume that was the same situation.

As far as service parts go, Ford is infamous for the service part varying in appearance to original assembly line parts. Again, I don't know if that is the situation here, just remarking about my observations of service parts v. assembly line parts over the years, particularly in that era.

Is there a standardization of how the staples are applied?
+1 on service parts typically varying from assemblyline. At least in that the parts evolved over time to vary from original assemblyline. In this typical case the old service parts looked like assemblyline compared to newer or the last available service parts. Placement of staples varied but typically within a range of possible placement .  Of course there were also less typical attachment possibilities besides staples. Certain type screws or clips were sometimes seen. Those different alternate fasteners use depended on plant and window in time. The alternatives happened most likely when the super heavy duty staple tool capable of going through radiator support sheet metal breaking down or going offline for what ever reason. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

The use of a seal on particular cars seems to have been a problem for line workers too. Many cars that were supposed to have seals were skipped. Meanwhile other cars that were supposed to NOT get seals got them. Staples can vary from 5 - 8, with spacing all over the map. Apparently the guy with the staple gun decided.

Bottom line if the car was supposed to get a seal and the original core support is present I copy the placement of staples. So far I have not encountered alternative attachment methods but I have seen them.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock