News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How many are left?

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, August 21, 2018, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Already sent a message to Howard, he probably has the information right at his fingertips
Hope to see what the numbers are
Owned since 1971, now driven over 248,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

alexgt350h

Please post when you get an answer.
Brent

Howard is probably still trying to wipe the smile off his face after driving his R Model around the race track for a couple of days, I know I would ;D
Owned since 1971, now driven over 248,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

98SVT - was 06GT

CA had the records on 3x5 cards (They have since been trashed) and hadn't put them in the computer. Someone had access to the files and gleaned those Cobras which had been totaled. They took that info and created AIR cars (rumor is over 20) that were sold with fake MSOs as garage find dead owner raced and never registered brokered cash sale only to the family that you never met. With the MSO DMV never checked the old files. The only way the scam was proven is when an original owner saw his car in the Registry owned by someone else. He had bought the salvage and it was sitting safe and sound in his CO garage (complete with all serial numbers). CA CHP visited the "new" owner and impounded his $250,000 427. After it was all said and done he got his kit car back with a CA issued VIN and all the CSX numbers ground off. Broker of course claimed to have no knowledge of the entire transaction.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

+1 That was pretty messy THEN and would be worse in the current day and age with so many sue happy people.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CSX2259

I know of a 260 Cobra that went through the same issues. The owner had an unbroken chain of ownership and the car in storage. Someone, well known in the Cobra community, decided to build a car around a VIN number, built the car and registered it in another State other than the State that the car was last registered in, California. A long legal battle was started between the State that relinquished the title of the car and the "air cars" owner. Fortunately the real owner of the car had maintained an excellent paperwork trail and he prevailed in the lawsuit. When the authorities went to collect the "air car" they had found that the owner had sold it away to an unsuspecting buyer in Europe. The real owner had the option of pursuing the "air car" but had decided the ownership of the car had been proven and he had had enough.

So a few days ago heard back from Howard he had some interesting specs on the total 1966 production, like about 308 cars are unaccounted for, a few were stolen and never recovered, a few were totally destroyed. That can be a thread for a another post, but I was interested in the Hertz cars.
I got out the latest Registry and started counting, I was amazed at how many cars have been changed to 4 speeds, painted different colors and even a few that were destroyed or stolen and there may be a couple of Air Cars out there
Here is a little of what I have found,
One it may be impossible to actually determine how many are left, some haven't been seen in decades, other just disappeared, many are reported with "Preset Owner/whereabouts not known"
9 Were Stolen and never recovered, 1 was destroyed in a fire but may have resurfaced as a re-body?
I counted 84 4 Speed cars and the rest I assume were automatics
According to the registry 561 are marked as "Present owner/whereabouts unknown". I know a couple of the cars I have seen at shows and the registry is a paper reference and the ownership changes all the times, some owners asked that their name not be shown, other just have the state in which it resides, so to tell "how many are left" may be impossible. As the cars become more expensive, more and more may resurface as the skill set, parts and even new body's making a old car new again becomes a reality.
It was fun exercise, but to answer the question, "how many are left"?
I don't think anyone can really tell, but I'm guessing around 800 or so based upon the last ownership in the cycle listed in the registry. Cars marked unknown and haven't been heard of since the early 70's may be long gone or perhaps stored away as a nice 401K investment
I'll think Ill take mine out for ride, to clear my head

Shelby_r_b

Great info, Steve!  Thanks for sharing.

And, I have to hand it to you...counting 561 different entries in the registry...wow!  :o
Nothing beats a classic!

gt350cs

Good job Steve. I always appreciate your many posts. I have just a couple of changes for you regarding your information.

If my records are correct concerning the 4 speed Hertz cars there were 86 with 6S048 (Prototype) being the earliest number and 6S612 being the latest number.

Also you can take at least one off of the "Present owner/whereabouts unknown". When I purchased the latest Registry, I was surprised to see that my Hertz was listed as such. I contacted Howard right away and he said that since there had not been any correspondence concerning my car it was assumed to have changed hands. There may be others where the last listed owner still retains the car.

Be careful with your research; it can become addictive as I have created several data bases using the information from the Registry as well as information found on the various Internet Forums and other resources.

And here is another shameless plug - I am still collecting first issue license plate numbers. The list is continuing to grow.

Thanks to all who have contributed their information.

Dennis

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on August 31, 2018, 01:19:05 PM
Great info, Steve!  Thanks for sharing.

And, I have to hand it to you...counting 561 different entries in the registry...wow!  :o
Actually I counted 993 entries
Want to review than again, might add a column as to what the color is today and how many have been changed to 4 speeds

Quote from: gt350cs on August 31, 2018, 02:18:28 PM
Good job Steve. I always appreciate your many posts. I have just a couple of changes for you regarding your information.

If my records are correct concerning the 4 speed Hertz cars there were 86 with 6S048 (Prototype) being the earliest number and 6S612 being the latest number.

Also you can take at least one off of the "Present owner/whereabouts unknown". When I purchased the latest Registry, I was surprised to see that my Hertz was listed as such. I contacted Howard right away and he said that since there had not been any correspondence concerning my car it was assumed to have changed hands. There may be others where the last listed owner still retains the car.

Be careful with your research; it can become addictive as I have created several data bases using the information from the Registry as well as information found on the various Internet Forums and other resources.

And here is another shameless plug - I am still collecting first issue license plate numbers. The list is continuing to grow.

Thanks to all who have contributed their information.

Dennis

I just the ones that said 4 speed confirmed. I think Shelby's record keeping didn't really meet the standards of today.

I find looking up this kind of stuff really interesting.  Sort of like Ancestry. Com but for Cars. 

Maybe we can get everyone to send in a "DNA" swab from their crankcase and we can determine where is from  :P

gt350hr

Steve ,
     Did you include 6S048 ( the prototype)? It was a 4 speed and the second prototype ( I forget the number) was an Auto .

Got 048 as a 4 speed and prototype
The next Vin is 279 says automatic , the next Vin for a 4 speed is 450,  both are black/gold cars  the 10 Hertz Vins in between 390,391 and then 440-450 missing 443, 444 are non Hertz cars, all the Hertz cars are noted to be white/gold
Like I said, interesting stuff

gt350hr

Remember the 18 white w/blue cars ( of which mine is one) Well documented with SAI meeting notes . Not all white Hertz cars had gold stripes OR roof stripes.

gt350cs

Randy,

Didn't all the brake test cars come with automatics?