News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original Painted Fan Spacer

Started by Greg, April 17, 2020, 10:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

I have researched and from all the pictures I find, the fan spacer is shown as cast. 

The engine in 5S109 was pulled in the early 70's and the original owner put a Boss 302 in it but stored the original engine.  The engine wasn't restored but it was put aside and left untouched for 40+ years.  When I bought the car I started the rebuild of the engine so I got to clean a lot of parts  :).  The fan spacer was clearly painted black, the fan had not been painted and neither had any of the pulleys.  There wouldn't have been any reason for anyone to have messed with it.  I am wondering if anyone else has seen this?  Thanks

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on April 17, 2020, 10:48:41 PM
I have researched and from all the pictures I find, the fan spacer is shown as cast. 

The engine in 5S109 was pulled in the early 70's and the original owner put a Boss 302 in it but stored the original engine.  The engine wasn't restored but it was put aside and left untouched for 40+ years.  When I bought the car I started the rebuild of the engine so I got to clean a lot of parts  :).  The fan spacer was clearly painted black, the fan had not been painted and neither had any of the pulleys.  There wouldn't have been any reason for anyone to have messed with it.  I am wondering if anyone else has seen this?  Thanks
Yes I have . It is when people mess with them. ;) They were  typically bare metal diecast which a silver color.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Greg on April 17, 2020, 10:48:41 PM
........... There wouldn't have been any reason for anyone to have messed with it.  I am wondering if anyone else has seen this?  Thanks

Agree with Bob's comments as to finish.

Why, or how did they get this way?   Gave up trying to guess why PO's did things in the past. Sometimes it's simple but other times it makes little sense looking backwards with 20-20 eyesight.  Bottom line is you don't need a reason why,  just a choice to be made at this point in the cars history going forward . 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Greg

The spacer looks like magnesium.  It's possible the owner saw it start to corrode and decided to try to protect it? 

CharlesTurner

Original spacers were die cast aluminum.  There are identifying marks.  Post some pics of what you have, could be a replacement piece.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on April 18, 2020, 07:35:00 AM
The spacer looks like magnesium.  It's possible the owner saw it start to corrode and decided to try to protect it?
Some were cast out of the darker material and were some kind of other material mix. I have had some hipo spacers like that before. I don't think magnesium but maybe in the mix given they are lighter. As Charles said they were typically diecast aluminum.Ether is good if the correct length.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dan Case

Some 1960s Ford fans spacers were apparently made of a magnesium alloy. I brought a machine shop to a dead stop to change protocols when my "aluminum alloy" part turned out to be a magnesium alloy part. Chips cut during lathe modification instantly turned into super bright burning flares that turned to ash before getting to the catch tray or floor. The machine shop foreman was not pleased as the shop was not clean enough to be turning magnesium and didn't have the correct type fire fighting equipment in that part of the facility to deal with a magnesium fire. After some equipment cleaning and getting some safety set ups for cutting magnesium, the machinist finished the modification I wanted.

The freshly cut areas tarnished to gray quickly in humid Alabama.

I can't tell you what car it came off of, lots of 1965-67 Mustangs and GT350s were in that shop before that time.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Greg

Here are some pictures of the fan and spacer before I took them apart.  It has the FOMOCO, flag and the raised embossed T.

Greg

s2ms

Quote from: Greg on April 18, 2020, 07:35:00 AM

Greg,

Is it possible to weigh your spacer?

In the 65-66 HiPo fan spacer variation thread - http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=3585 - weight was one of the variations. Very small sample size but basically I found 2 weights, 5.0-5.1 oz (3 spacers), and 7.8 oz (1 spacer). That difference perfectly matches the weight difference between magnesium and aluminum alloys. Also, might be just coincidence but the lighter spacers do show a small amount of corrosion, the heavier spacer does not.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

CharlesTurner

Thanks for posting Dan.  Most I have run across had the appearance of aluminum die-cast, especially when cleaned or lightly blasted.

In the pics, looks like it was painted still attached... probably because it started corroding.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Dan Case

Quote from: CharlesTurner on April 18, 2020, 02:35:31 PM
Thanks for posting Dan.  Most I have run across had the appearance of aluminum die-cast, especially when cleaned or lightly blasted.

In the pics, looks like it was painted still attached... probably because it started corroding.

You are welcome. Most I have handled were aluminum based on the lack of corrosion. 
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Greg

Quote from: CharlesTurner on April 18, 2020, 02:35:31 PM

Charles, when I cleaned this one it only got darker which lead me to believe it was magnesium.  Dave, yes I will weigh it and see what it is.

gt350hr

Made by Dorman for Ford and yes both in "mag alloy" and aluminum. "Some" mostly the aluminum version have the Dorman "winged" logo.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bobby Crumpley

I have vapor blasted several of these spacers over the last year and haven't come across a magnesium alloy one so far.  The interesting thing about magnesium parts is they take twice as long to restore the finish as otherwise identical aluminum parts.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com