News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hi-Performance Motors cardboard insert?

Started by deathsled, May 03, 2024, 07:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I acquired this little piece just recently and wondered if Hi-Performance Motors actually used this identifier on their plates? That was the claim by the seller who patterned this repro from file materials he received from Lew Spencer in 1984. My car was invoiced to Hi-Performance Motors so I wanted the piece for the small Shelby shrine I created in the home office.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

Quote from: FL SAAC on May 03, 2024, 08:27:45 PMIs it paper or plastic ?
That's what they asked me at checkout at Walmart. Joking aside. It's cardboard. Has not arrived yet. But looks unique so I grabbed it.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on May 03, 2024, 09:40:52 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on May 03, 2024, 08:27:45 PMIs it paper or plastic ?
That's what they asked me at checkout at Walmart. Joking aside. It's cardboard. Has not arrived yet. But looks unique so I grabbed it.

Publix Super Market where "shopping is a pleasure" here in Floridaland once upon a time also said that.

But now it's all plastic made from artificial Christmas trees....

On that tag thingie one word only "laminate"

Long day ahead, good night ....

I have all UNGOLD cars

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on May 03, 2024, 07:29:37 PMI acquired this little piece just recently and wondered if Hi-Performance Motors actually used this identifier on their plates? That was the claim by the seller who patterned this repro from file materials he received from Lew Spencer in 1984. My car was invoiced to Hi-Performance Motors so I wanted the piece for the small Shelby shrine I created in the home office.
They were cardboard back in the day also. I think Craig Conley made a run of authentic looking repros in the last couple of years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Never seen anything like it before.  Will look on the wall with a Hi Performance repop frame. 

silverton_ford

Here is an old original photo of Ray Wolff with his race car.  Notice the Hi Performance cardboard plate on the back of the car. Ray was the General Manager at Hi Performance Motors.

You cannot view this attachment.

FL SAAC

Quote from: silverton_ford on May 04, 2024, 09:48:43 AMHere is an old original photo of Ray Wolff with his race car.  Notice the Hi Performance cardboard plate on the back of the car. Ray was the General Manager at Hi Performance Motors.

You cannot view this attachment.

Nice

I have all UNGOLD cars

JD

Quote from: silverton_ford on May 04, 2024, 09:48:43 AMHere is an old original photo of Ray Wolff with his race car.  Notice the Hi Performance cardboard plate on the back of the car. Ray was the General Manager at Hi Performance Motors.

Here is the section enlarged...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

camp upshur

Trivia question:

Wow, an Econoline 'Super Window Van'. (perhaps a '66?)
A vehicle of especial significance for 65-66 GT-350 restorers!
Anyone?

deathsled

Bob Gaines

Cool well done plates. The seller miamiviceshelby is long time Shelby memorabilia vendor John Barnes I am sure he gets them from Craig. A finite amount at some point so get one while you can. The genuine are significantly more expensive.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Looks like someone bought the last one. Thanks for the backstory Bob, Silverton Ford, JD and Camp Upshur. Someone bought the last one it would seem. As previously mentioned, I never saw anything like it before and is relevant to 843 so why not. We are only coming along this way once in life. Not so convinced about Heaven, Hell or Valhalla. Live it up a bit.

s2ms

I've been running one on my 66 for a while now. Was planning on not using a front plate at all since it's not required in WA for vintage cars but decided this looked better IMO...
Dave - 6S1757

deathsled

Quote from: s2ms on May 05, 2024, 01:16:48 AMI've been running one on my 66 for a while now. Was planning on not using a front plate at all since it's not required in WA for vintage cars but decided this looked better IMO...
That looks great!  My plan is to put that on the wall of my office space and the second frame on the back of the Hertz.  Hoping they are able to fulfill the order on the frames.  They accepted payment but then again so did the other place that gave me a refund when they realized they were out.  Thank you for posting that unique setup.