News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Battery hold down clamp for a 66

Started by deathsled, May 03, 2024, 06:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Recent acquisition.  Apparently a service part with label taped on. What am I looking at here? 843 currently has a ridiculous little hold down tab which is apparently all wrong. Friend of mine says there should be the letter "c" stamped on this block shaped clamp which I do not see. If I got seen off it wasn't for a lot. Curious.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on May 03, 2024, 06:02:10 PMRecent acquisition.  Apparently a service part with label taped on. What am I looking at here? 843 currently has a ridiculous little hold down tab which is apparently all wrong. Friend of mine says there should be the letter "c" stamped on this block shaped clamp which I do not see. If I got seen off it wasn't for a lot. Curious.
Here is a picture of the repro that Virginia Classic Mustang sells. It is concours correct and made exactly like the original unlike most repro hold downs sold by others.  https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-Mustang-Short-Battery-Holddown-Clamp-Exact-Style-with-tab-P482335.aspx    Notice the the small curved half circle tab which is what the assemblyline hold down has. That might be the 'C" your friend was talking about. Later service parts and most repros don't have this little tell. Your picture appears to be a later service replacement.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Thank you Bob for the clarification and insight.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

outlawincorporated

Center and right hand side show the correct assembly-line battery hold down clamp for the 24F battery

regards

PHILLIP BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: outlawincorporated on May 04, 2024, 01:08:42 AMCenter and right hand side show the correct assembly-line battery hold down clamp for the 24F battery

regards

PHILLIP BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Correct information for the picture however for those reading a little history lesson in that there was no 24F battery and or hold down clamp used on the assemblyline for a 66 GT350. A group 22 is what was used on the 66 GT350 (and front mount battery 65 GT350) which is a smaller battery compared to the group 24 . The group 22 battery used the wider version of the same hold down clamp in the picture. Unfortunately there is not a replacement battery that I am aware that is the same dimensions as the group 22 and has the ridge at the bottom to accommodate the factory hold down clip. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby