News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Walk MS 2020 fundraising

Started by mark p, April 13, 2020, 09:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark p

I hope that this finds you safe and healthy. The current pandemic has certainly left us in a brave new world situation.
As many of you know, my wife has been hit hard by Multiple Sclerosis. Nancy was diagnosed back in the mid-90s while still in her 30's, and it continues to worsen.
For anyone that isn't familiar, this is a nasty disease that is mainly found in women ages about 25 to 50. There is no current prevention or cure.
There is plenty of further info on the National MS Society website, if you are interested. The thing that stands out to me the most is the need for research $$...Thus - I fundraise by doing the Walk MS event every year.
The National MS Society is doing its best to stay on track while keeping everyone safe, and also complying with various Federal and State orders. Thus our local 4-26-2020 Walk MS event has been switched to a "virtual" event. I'm not 100% sure what that is supposed to mean, but it is my intent to "stay the course". I'll walk the prescribed 4 miles around our neighborhood - with social distancing, or by myself.
To make a donation - Simply click on the link below, or contact me directly.

Click here to visit my personal page:
https://secure.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=31249&pg=personal&px=4766859
Any donations will be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Worst disease ever.Worked for an actress with MS as a personal asisistant right after college.When I started she could still walk with a cane and drive her own car.By the time the job ended she was in an electric wheelchair and I was driving her in a handicapped van.She has since passed on.Hits people in the prime of life and is cruelly progressive.It sucks!My thoughts are with you.BTW my Mom is a former volunteer director for the MS society in L.A.

mark p

Thanks. The National MS Society does a lot of good.
Nancy has been in a wheelchair for nearly 15 years at this point and continues to lose muscle function, etc. Our "golden years" will not be anything like we thought...
Yep, our "daily driver" is an E250 conversion with all of the "accessible features" (found used on ebay back in '12)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

Cruel disease,wish they would find a cure already.My experience with it was in the late 80s/early 90s and it sucked just as much back then.Best wishes and stay safe.

mark p

Since the Walk MS Event was revised to "virtual"... I decided to do my walking today while the weather was good  8) instead of tomorrow when it's gonna be pouring rain. I went 4 miles around our area, taking great care to keep my correct social distance from walkers, runners, and cyclists along my way.
In spite of the pandemic, I was able to raise a little more $$ than last year... that feels pretty good.
Thanks for the kind words and support.

mark p

I continue to be amazed by the compassion and generosity of the SAAC family.
It seems as tho every year there is surprise support from somewhere within the community, and so it happened this year.
Huge Thanks!

Cheers, Mark
(my end of walk drink shown)