News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT350 Paxton Questions

Started by blackjade, June 28, 2021, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackjade

Helping a friend who has a factory Paxton GT350.

Need some help with fuel line routing and fittings inside the air bonnet. His set up works but wondering if anyone can help with how it was run from Shelby.

Will likely have more questions but this is the start.

98SVT - was 06GT

Check with Craig Conolly at Paradise Wheel. He may have copies of the original installation manuals. I couldn't fine one. The "new" Paxton is just a rebadged Vortech. Craig can also rebuild the original if it needs it.

https://paradisewheels.biz/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

George Schalk

The original '66 and '67 Paxton cars would have come with a 4100 series Autolite 1.12 carburetor.  A lot of Paxton guys will now run a 600 cfm Holley due to availability and cost of an original HiPo 4100 Autolite (you have no idea what the carb is once the carb bonnet is closed up).  The fuel inlet on the 4100 Autolite was at the front lower corner of the carb unlike the Holleys which is at the side of the carb.  The fuel hose inlet on the carb bonnet enclosure was in direct line with the fuel inlet on the 4100 Autolite, which made it easy to route and connect the fuel hose to the carb.  If using a Holley, you'll have to get creative in running fuel hoses inside of the carb bonnet since the fuel is fed to the carburetor at the side of the bowls. 

It is common for the fuel line running from the fuel pump up to the carburetor to be a rubber hose instead of the common rigid steel tube found on non-Paxton cars.  The steel fuel line had clearance issues when trying to route it under the Paxton blower unit.  I have seen some applications where a steel fuel line was used up to the bonnet with a rubber hose attached at the end going into the carb bonnet.   The fuel line was always routed under the blower unit.  An inline fuel filter would need be utilized when running a Holley carb.  I am not 100% sure, but there should be enough room inside the carb bonnet to mount the std. screw-in fuel filter to the 4100 carb.

What carburetor is your friend running?  What's the Shelby number of your friends '67?  I can try to post some pics in the next day or 2 of a 4100 Autolite and a Holley inside the carb bonnet if needed.

Rickmustang

I have full set of drawings I can email.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

roddster

Often you can find an installation manual (or copy) on Ebay.

gt350hr

"In the day" I used the 715 (3259) with float bowls from a 390 GT Holley . I also had to use ( then) prototype nitrophyl floats. The 390 GT carb ( for those of you not familiar) has a metal transfer tube from the primary to the secondary and a driver's side inlet.I drilled the appropriate hole in the side of the box an plugged the front entry. It worked perfectly all the time I used it. My combination made over 500 HP back then in drag race trim. In 6S240 , I ran low 11's at over 124 MPH.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

blackjade

Thanks all!

PM sent to RickMustang

blackjade

And he is running a Holley so that explains the misalignment.

Rickmustang

Manual sent from personal email address. It's 15 meg pdf and very detailed.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

blackjade