News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

No roll bar padding left on my original bar- leave or change bar?

Started by cboss70, November 15, 2019, 01:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I have a 67 and after years of different types of abuse I removed what little dried out padding was left from my original roll bar (wasn't savable).  So now I'm left with the dilemma should I
1) Leave the bar bare and paint it black so it and its mounting welds are original to the car
2) Put a few layers of the liquid rubber (plasti-dip) on it
3) Buy a repo bar and graft its rubber on it (knowing the repro's are 68 style so would not be exact)
4) Just buy an original with the rubber intact and in good shape and have it welded in and toss the old bar (may not end up with a factory look weld/install)

The car is in driver shape- cruise night car not a show car.   I would personally narrow it down to option 1 or 4.  Thoughts on 1-4??

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cboss70 on November 15, 2019, 01:37:43 PM
I have a 67 and after years of different types of abuse I removed what little dried out padding was left from my original roll bar (wasn't savable).  So now I'm left with the dilemma should I
1) Leave the bar bare and paint it black so it and its mounting welds are original to the car
2) Put a few layers of the liquid rubber (plasti-dip) on it
3) Buy a repo bar and graft its rubber on it (knowing the repro's are 68 style so would not be exact)
4) Just buy an original with the rubber intact and in good shape and have it welded in and toss the old bar (may not end up with a factory look weld/install)

The car is in driver shape- cruise night car not a show car.   I would personally narrow it down to option 1 or 4.  Thoughts on 1-4??
Option 1,2,3 are going to effect the look ,originality and consequently perceived value of the car in a negative way more so then the welding used to secure the bar which is hidden behind  interior panels  IMO.  ;) I have not seen in all my decades of Shelby association yet of a successful repair and or convincing replacement roll bar padding look. You can ether take my word for it or learn the hard way.  Options 1,2,or 3 are more appropriate and in keeping with a tribute car then a genuine Shelby given the value between the two.  A correct looking roll bar in a genuine Shelby will effect its perception in a positive way by knowledgeable enthusiasts as well as its value on the market compared to the same thing on a tribute ,clone,restomod etc. car. The cost of putting a factory correct roll bar in a tribute car doesn't make sense financially like it does for a genuine car.  This is not the first time this subject has come up .It has come up many dozens of times on this forum alone . I have been personally asked no less then hundreds of times over the years on this subject. I have the advantage of hearing feedback over the course of years from those that chose to replace and those that did not. The overwhelming majority of opinion was that that the best choice over a wide variety of situations was a original replacement. Just my opinion based on my experience. FYI there might still be a original bar for sale in the parts for sale section of this forum. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

The original roll bar in the car in close to original condition is ridiculously disproportional to what it really should be.
IF you can find an original one in good condition for sale you will begin to suspect that, if not be convinced of that fact, when you hear the asking price. It won't be cheap. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 15, 2019, 04:26:51 PM
The original roll bar in the car in close to original condition is ridiculously disproportional to what it really should be.
IF you can find an original one in good condition for sale you will begin to suspect that, if not be convinced of that fact, when you hear the asking price. It won't be cheap. ;)
Yes they are valuable because they are in demand and very few available. Another way to look at is the roll bar price is typically about 1% of the value of a typical car. I bet it is a much bigger percentage in someones perception of the car overall and maybe even a deal breaker in a transaction. For some people every time getting into the car and being depressed,frustrated,stressed etc. seeing a cheesy less then roll bar vs not with a proper one is priceless. Again just my opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

martyjac

There's one on EBay currently. Item # 323947993132. The seller is also on this site  - Special Ed and is very reputable.

shelbydoug

Quote from: martyjac on November 16, 2019, 06:09:00 AM
There's one on EBay currently. Item # 323947993132. The seller is also on this site  - Special Ed and is very reputable.

I think that's a pretty reasonable price. They don't come up often at all and the 67 is different then the other years.

Considering how many cars there are being brought back from the dead I'm surprised it's still available. If I needed one, I'd go get it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 16, 2019, 06:53:39 AM
Quote from: martyjac on November 16, 2019, 06:09:00 AM

I think that's a pretty reasonable price. They don't come up often at all and the 67 is different then the other years.

Considering how many cars there are being brought back from the dead I'm surprised it's still available. If I needed one, I'd go get it.
+1 . To add more clarification although similar in appearance the mounting is different on a 68 Shelby bar compared to a 67 . A 67 Shelby inertia reel will not fit a 68 roll bar and vice versa.