News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 gt350 2 spd rear axle

Started by jim the falcon guy, April 27, 2024, 07:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim the falcon guy

hello everyone ,I have a question. Does anyone have any information about the hone-o-drive 2spd axle offered as an option on 67  gt350s .my friend just purchased the car and it appears to be period correct . it also has some kind of shock instead of a bar for the cal trac system . thought maybe was part of the 2spd axle? can anybody shed some light on this? thanks ,Jim from Canada

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

J_Speegle

Two different things from two different makers.

Never seen anything related to Hon-O-Drives being an option. Of course dealers would do just about anything that would make a sale if it didn't alter emissions or warranty sorts of things. Of course this would not be considered factory in any way.

Don't recall ever seeing one installed on a 67 - 70 Shelby.  Must have been really unpopular with new buyers and other owners after them
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on April 27, 2024, 09:36:31 PMTwo different things from two different makers.

Never seen anything related to Hon-O-Drives being an option. Of course dealers would do just about anything that would make a sale if it didn't alter emissions or warranty sorts of things. Of course this would not be considered factory in any way.

Don't recall ever seeing one installed on a 67 - 70 Shelby.  Must have been really unpopular with new buyers and other owners after them
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

The Hone - O -Drives were a popular addition to motor homes in the late 1960's - early 1970's. Motion performance out of Long Island, NY offered them as an option in the 1971 Corvette. I think that was the first time anyone offered that on a car.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

J_Speegle

Well will have to add that as of looking at the recent 67 GT350 at auction mentioned on this site I now have seen one with a Hone-O- Drive.  :) Also in doing a search of my  picture collection did find one installed on a 67 GT500 and another on a 68 Shelby

Sure others are familiar of the ad/ads offering Hone-O-drives on 66 GT350's. There are a number of those out there. Also have seen them on 69-70 Boss's. The one I have was reported to have come out of a large HD Ford truck.

As mentioned in the other thread - two versions- One that replaced the pinion gear and retainer on the front of the Ford 9" 3rd member and the other was attached between two short driveshafts and mounted to the floor or frame on non-Ford applications

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge