News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SFM5S192 at Mecum Dallas

Started by Dkutz, October 06, 2020, 04:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dkutz

Seems like an older restoration?  or a Not very Good one.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0920-447390/1965-shelby-gt350-fastback/?utm_source=S109.1&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=DA20

This early-production 1965 Shelby GT350 Fastback, serial number SFM5S192, is one of just 521 street GT350s built that first year of production and has undergone a professional restoration to Concours standards. Its history begins with its arrival at Shelby American on April 1, 1965; as if to illustrate the frenetic pace of early GT350 production, work began on the car on April 27 and was completed just three days later, on April 30. Originally shipped to Milo Brooke, Inc. in Chicago, Illinois, its history includes a number of California owners, as documented with a listing in the Shelby Registry. Finished in Wimbledon White with Blue Le Mans striping and coveted Shelby Cragar 5-spoke wheels, its specifications include the Shelby-modified 289/306 HP "HiPo" V-8 engine with a Holley 715 CFM 4-barrel carburetor on a Cobra aluminum intake manifold, finned aluminum Cobra valve covers, Tri-Y headers and side exhaust, and a Borg Warner 4-speed manual transmission driving a narrowed Galaxie 9-inch rear end with 3.89 gears and Detroit Locker. Modified front suspension mounting points, front disc brakes, traction bars and Koni adjustable shock absorbers also contributed to the GT350's SCCA B Production Championship-winning performance. The standard black Mustang interior was also modified in service to the GT350's mission, as demonstrated in this example's wood-rimmed steering wheel, fiberglass rear floor with covered spare tire and the black plastic dash pod housing a Delco-made 8,000 RPM tachometer with 6,500 RPM redline, and an oil pressure gauge—also made by Delco—both bearing "CS" logos. Of special interest to collectors is this GT350's early-production all-fiberglass plenum hood, a feature that was replaced by steel-reinforced units around serial number 300, and its rare Talbot Berlin side view mirror. Another early production feature is the trunk-mounted Autolite battery; later production cars saw the battery relocated to its original position in the engine compartment.

CharlesTurner

Would need more work to be "Concours standards".
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

I saw something that is embarrassing in picture 63 of 67 . Not only did they install the transport tie down removal sticker on the inside of the trunklid which I never saw done before but they were too blind to see the instructions to place the sticker in the license plate area printed in plain sight on the sticker.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Outside of the miss placed sticker, fuel pump and a few other easily fixable items it looks as good or better than most of the restored cars I have seen (on the top side).  There are very few cars that are perfect, especially if they are driven.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

camp upshur

a repost of a private correspondence regarding this offering:

"....almost unbelievably, all of the photos have been very cleverly cropped so as preclude almost all of the shelby specific 'checking points'. these subtle points are usually showcased or specifically mentioned in this 300-500k 1965 shelby `S resale world.

a 65 is rated on:
-original drivetrain;
-original sheetmetal;
-original 65 shelby-specific parts;
-original month-specific hardware fasteners; and ... for the BIG money (500k+)
-original inferior parts which were soon thrown away by original owners due to being functionally inferior so therefore are now incredibly 'collectible' due to numerical rarity.

I mean who the F kept a 'W-MO 3-65 dated G-2 stamped' two row 17" radiator? or a 4 blade HiPo fan? or a 3939S 'button top' fuel pump? all useless. now worth $$$$$$$$

anyway on this car absolutely no information is offered. just some standard hot-rod mag generic shelby gibble. no mention of the serialized original engine, no mention of original (date-coded) sheetmetal/glass, no chassis or suspension photos. wa-wa-WHAT??
if it's not mentioned its most probably not there. this thing is being pushed at a high end auction.

what little can be seen is merely 'ok'. I mean it presents well but the cropped engine pic shows the wrong fuel pump, the omission of the shelby specific fasteners atop the shock tower caps, a repop oil filler cap (w/o factory dimples--a collectible) and no way of verifying the heads, intake, block, carb, dist, front cover, etc.

the interior pic show the wrong shifter handle and no way of seeing the dash and the all-important horn switch. cant see anything.

now it would be really something if it had all of its sheetmetal, drivetrain and the suspension was concours... and there is a chance that it may.  but this is the Mecum. not that Mecum is the pinnacle,  but the promoters know enough generically on how to present a high end car if it does indeed have its bona fides."

sfm5

Agreed there is a glaring lack of specifics in the write up. I always assume if it is not specifically stated then it isn't the case, ie: original engine, etc., and that the auction houses are not there to assure the integrity of the car but rather to sell it at the highest price by hyping it up.

This looks like a nice clean driver but I would want to inspect closely before bidding or placing a value on it.
65 GT350

BGlover67

It's funny because I laughed when I received the email advertisement about this vehicle yesterday.  It says "Professionally Restored 1965 Shelby GT350", and then they include a picture of the 4 speed shifter.  Yikes, are they going for a "restored" vibe, or an "original" one?  That handle is rough.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

KR Convertible

It's also the wrong shift handle.  Bend is too sharp.

Greg

Quote from: sfm5 on October 07, 2020, 09:43:41 AM
Agreed there is a glaring lack of specifics in the write up. I always assume if it is not specifically stated then it isn't the case, ie: original engine, etc., and that the auction houses are not there to assure the integrity of the car but rather to sell it at the highest price by hyping it up.

This looks like a nice clean driver but I would want to inspect closely before bidding or placing a value on it.

+1.. If I was interested in this car, the first call I would make would be to Howard to see what is known about it and then try to find the owner history by speaking with them.  The auction houses don't know and don't care, they are there as you said, to sale a car and collection their commission.

gt350hr

Quote from: KR Convertible on October 07, 2020, 10:31:01 AM
It's also the wrong shift handle.  Bend is too sharp.

It's an early car , aluminum water pump , round hole steering wheel and bolt on windshield wiper mechanism. Sharp bend stick should be correct. Later cars did have the smooth bend stick.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on October 07, 2020, 11:06:56 AM
Quote from: sfm5 on October 07, 2020, 09:43:41 AM

+1.. If I was interested in this car, the first call I would make would be to Howard to see what is known about it and then try to find the owner history by speaking with them.  The auction houses don't know and don't care, they are there as you said, to sale a car and collection their commission.
You can count on Howard to be available to check on known history. Past owners are rarely available for a auction car however. For that matter it is seldom that a past owner is available for a private sale car and even then they typically can only provide anecdotal information . I would not get put off by not being able to contact previous owners. As interesting as a past owners stories about the car might be the most important thing is inspection of the car by someone knowledgeable in both historical details and collision repairs if you want to know about the bones. I can remember hearing stories about a car from the past owner of a 70 Shelby that a seller had given me a number to contact him. I was inspecting for a potential buyer and the past owner went on and on about how great it was but when I got to the inspection and the car was on a lift you couldn't go more then twelve inches in any direction without finding evidence of some kind of patch. It was one of the worst still driving Shelby's I had ever seen in that respect. Pretty from the outside though.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Wasn't a previous owner on the forum at some point?  I have old pictures of the car when it was restored long ago, maybe in late 70's/early 80's.

Registry notes steel wheels and no LeMans stripes.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

69mach351w

I'd be estatic owning 1 of 562 '65 Shelbys,  regardless of the nitpicking going on here.

Greg

Quote from: 69mach351w on October 07, 2020, 01:04:35 PM
What difference does it matter how many anyone owns. You guys beat all I've ever seen here!!  Some of you anyway. Geez!!

No idea why you got your panties in a twist.  The folks on here do try to educate but you look at it as nitpicking.  If you were interested in purchasing this car you would be reading this thread and trying to glean all you could from the guys that know.... at least I know I would. 

You say you would be happy to just own one, okay how about laying out $400K large of your hard money only to find out that the car (remember you were just happy to have one) was rebodied and worth $75K, I bet your tune would change then. 

So my advice, sit back, listen and learn.  That is what I try to do.

SBCARGUY